Chapter 3: Masks

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 3

'Masks'

At seven o’clock sharp, Gabriella called out dinner was about to be served. Jasmine sighed. She had been listening to her iPod while finishing her Physics homework. She was thinking about looking for a tutor. Her former high school was a few lessons behind in both Physics and Chem and Jasmine was having difficulties understanding the curriculum.  

She never had been a science genius, but today she’d felt like an idiot during her Chemistry class. They were working with a more advanced textbook that needed a decent basic knowledge about the subject. Knowledge Jasmine didn’t possess.

“How was school, honey?” Gabriella asked as Jasmine joined them in the dining room. She noticed both Lucas and Nathan were absent.

“Okay, I guess,” she replied shortly, not feeling like elaborating. It hadn’t been the best of days and she didn’t want to worry Gabriella needlessly. To be completely honest, she felt relieved no one had tried to befriend her. She didn’t want to come off like a bitch by ignoring people. It was simply too soon after the death off her grandmother to start being happy again. She needed more time to mourn.

They ate in silence. Jasmine picked at her food, once again reminding herself she needed to gain a few pounds. When she was halfway through her plate, the front door suddenly opened and Nathan sauntered inside, a heavy bag hanging across his back. “Evening,” he called out, putting his bag down and getting into his seat. His hair was still dripping wet, the evidence he’d taken a shower after practice.

“Nathan, did you forget to use a towel?” Frank questioned, shaking his head. He didn’t look mad as a grin made its way across his features.

“He’s just like you when you were his age. Luckily he doesn’t make a habit out of running around naked through the house,” Gabriella replied, smiling foolishly at her husband. He winked back at her and pecked her lips, making Nathan gag.

“Mom and dad! Please! I’m trying to eat here. You’re ruining my appetite,” he whined, hiding his eyes. Jasmine had to hold back a fit of laughter, looking at the trio in amusement. They were such a cute family. She would have to be strong and extra vigilant to get too attached.

As they finished eating, Lucas suddenly ran down the stairs, a pack of cigarettes and the keys to his Harley in his hands. Jasmine wrinkled her nose at the thought of smoking a cigarette. She absolutely despised the smell and often got sick from being in the same room with people that smoked.

“Where do you think you’re going?” Frank called out, sounding beyond pissed off.

“None of your damn business. I’m an adult. I don’t answer to you,” Lucas replied, smirking as he zipped his leather jacket and put on a pair of combat boots.

“As long as you live underneath my roof and use my money for your education and consumptions, you will have to listen to me, young man,” Frank stated, his face turning a darker shade of red. The elder man was usually in control of his emotions, but Lucas seemed to trigger his rage.

“I’m going to take a smoke, drive to the nearest bar, get drunk as a skunk and take some slut home to fuck her all night long,” Lucas complied. “Happy now, old man?” he questioned before walking outside and slamming the door shut with a loud thud.

Frank let out a deep sigh as his son left the house, shaking his head in disappointment. “I’m sorry you had to witness that, Jasmine. My son isn’t the easiest kid to handle,” he apologized before he collected the dishes and put them in the dishwasher while Gabriella cleaned the table. Gabriella put a hand on her husband’s arm to sooth his worries and calm his temper.