Chapter 12: Late Night Visitor

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 12

'Late Night Visitor'

The tapping sound of rain hitting the glass of her bedroom window was what awakened Jasmine at night, at least she thought it was the rain. When she blinked her eyelids open she realized she wasn’t alone in her room. Usually late night visitors would startle her, but she’d grown used to Lucas lurking around at all hours of the day and night.

Sitting upright she stared at him from across the room. He was sitting at her desk, his eyes focused on the window as he mindlessly watched the rain falling from the sky. His features were relaxed, his gaze sleepy as he sagged a little in his seat. It was a little after midnight Jasmine noted as she eyed her alarm clock. What on earth was Lucas doing in her room this late?

The sound of Jasmine throwing back the sheets and getting out of bed seemed to startle Lucas. He immediately sat a little straighter and eyed her curiously. “Good evening, princess,” he smirked, standing up.

“What are you doing in my room?” Jasmine questioned confused as she made up her bed and sat down on the neatly folded sheets. She wasn’t sure why she felt compelled to make the bed.  Maybe it was less intimate than lounging under the covers. Lucas joined her, occupying the space next to her and laid down, staring up at the ceiling. She watched him, a little uncertain, before following his example and lying back down. They both stayed silent, watching the ceiling like it was the most interesting sight they’d seen in a very long time.

Suddenly Lucas turned on his side and let his fingers caress the smooth skin of Jasmine’s cheek. “You stood up for me earlier,” he stated, seemingly shocked and taken aback. Jasmine didn’t know whether he was speaking to her or to himself. “No one has done that in a very long time,” he added, his voice soft and filled with confusion.

“Someone has to,” Jasmine deadpanned, resting her hand on top of his and intertwining their fingers. “I believe in you,” she added with a smile, knowing how much the words would mean to him. Lucas wasn’t a lost cause, just a lost soul.

“When you left, my dad…he apologized for yelling at me,” Lucas said, sounding shocked. “He always yells at me, but he’s never apologized before.” Jasmine smiled softly as she rolled to her side, facing Lucas. He was staring at her in wonder. The gratitude in his eyes should have surprised her, but it didn’t. She knew he had a heart of gold hidden underneath all those locked doors.

“Frank means well, but he has trouble conveying a civil message. He doesn’t know how to communicate with you, so he ends up screaming and shouting instead,” Jasmine explained. It was no excuse, but deep down, Lucas should know his father only wanted him to be happy.

“You don’t understand, princess. He has NEVER apologized to me – ever. Not even when things got seriously out of hand,” Lucas clarified, his eyes wide with both shock and rage. He clearly held a grudge. Frank must have done something terribly wrong to get Lucas that riled up.

“What do you mean?” she asked, a little confused.

Lucas sighed deeply. “It doesn’t matter,” he eventually answered, sitting up and running his fingers through his messy hair. Jasmine’s fingers itched to repeat the motion, but she kept her hands firmly to herself. She shouldn’t be thinking about playing with Lucas’ hair. It was beyond inappropriate.

“Want to watch a movie together?” Lucas suddenly asked, changing the subject completely. Not in the mood to argue because he was once again beating around the bush and hiding the truth, she nodded. To be honest, she was too tired to watch a movie and would probably fall asleep within minutes. For some reason, she just couldn’t turn Lucas’ offer down. It was the first time he ever willingly spend a large amount of time with her. Except for their night at the bar, which she had to practically beg him for, he usually disappeared after a few minutes.