Chapter 2: Meeting Mr. Cocky and Arrogant

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 2

'Meeting Mr. Cocky and Arrogant'

Jasmine sat motionless on top of her new queen-sized bed, staring blankly ahead of her as she processed the events of the past twenty-four hours. Her day had been overwhelming to say the least. She still didn't feel comfortable in her new environment, but accepted the fact she would be obligated to stay there until the end of the school year.

The Wood family seemed nice and she appreciated the warm welcome she had received, though Jasmine couldn't exactly say she had enjoyed their kindness. It would have been much easier to hate her new 'housemates' if they had been cold and disobligingly. Add the giant mansion she was now living in, the expensive gifts she had gotten and it became almost impossible not to develop a liking towards them.

She had promised herself she would stay unattached and distant. It would be much easier to leave them behind if they didn't have some kind of bond. A firm knock on her door caught her attention and she quickly stood up to let her visitor enter.

When she opened the door, she was met with a smiling Nathan who carried a tray full of deliciously smelling food. "My mom thought you might have wanted to get settled in and enjoy some rest so she had me deliver your dinner. You're always welcome to join us in the dining room as well, of course," he announced. She suddenly noticed he had the cutest dimples in his cheeks when he smiled. It hadn't struck her before.

When he caught her staring, she blushed profoundly and quickly took over the tray. She was careful to make sure their fingers didn't touch to avoid another embarrassing situation. "Thank you. The food looks lovely," she replied gracefully. Her bad mood was completely forgotten as Nathan kept smiling at her.

"Our cook Grace has done a remarkable job as always. She's truly the savior of our kitchen. My mom can't even boil an egg," Nathan confessed, winking. "Enjoy your meal, Jasmine. If you're in need off company, you can always knock on my door. My room is at the end of this hallway," he stated, pointing at the correct door.

She thanked him politely and gave him a small smile before closing the door. Nathan seemed like a good kid. It was obvious he was well-raised and courteous. She would have done everything to meet a nice guy like him back in Florida. She always seemed to end up dating the wrong guys. It was clear she attracted trouble.

She sat the tray of delights down on her nightstand and let out a deep sigh as she picked at the food. To be honest, she wasn't all that hungry. Her stomach practically convulsed at the sole thought of eating. Most of her appetite had died when she got the phone call her grandmother passed away and it still hadn't fully returned.

At the airport earlier, she'd eaten a granola bar to keep her body functioning, but that was about all she had eaten all day. When she looked in a mirror, it was obvious she'd lost a few pounds. Her clothes had become a little baggy and even her favorite bra started to gape. She'd always been kind of skinny, so it wasn't like she had to lose the extra weight.

Reluctantly she took a decent bite of the pasta in front of her. Even though her stomach started to protest, she forced herself to keep eating until half of the plate was emptied. She congratulated herself for the effort and put the tray aside. She was stuffed.

After taking a quick shower, brushing her teeth and changing into a pair of pajamas, Jasmine took the first book that seemed interesting out of her brand new bookcase and started to read. It had been a while since she last read. She used to be a big fan off romance novels, but quit reading them when the umpteenth guy decided to break her heart.