Chapter 1: Wounded

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

This book contains material protected under International and Federal Copyright Laws and Treaties. Any unauthorized reprint or use of this material is prohibited. No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording, or by any information storage and retrieval system without express written permission from the author / publisher.

***

Author's note: This story is listed in the teen category mainly because some of the characters are still in high school. However, I do warn you that there will be slightly mature scenes throughout the story. If you are not comfortable with this, please do not read any further. It's a story about love, but also about learning how to deal with the loss of a lost family member, fighting your own demons and making new friends. Without further ado, enjoy my new book 'Delicate Hearts' and please leave me a few words of encouragement!

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 1

'Wounded'

The wounds were deep, ones that never show on the body, yet are graver and more hurtful than anything that bleeds. She was crippled inside, crushed by the heartbreak brought upon her through tragedy. People say time heals all wounds, the deep cuts brought on by loss. She disagrees. They never leave, but are covered by scars that lessen the pain. It's the way our mind tries to protect its sanity.

It's difficult for her to smile these days. Try to make your lips curl upwards after a hard slap in the face, now keep it up twenty-four hours, seven days a week. It's nearly impossible and much harder than simply avoiding life and hiding under a rock of painful memories.

Jasmine would never deny she stopped living the day life took away the one person she had left, the guardian angel that cared for her in times of pain and loss. People often proclaimed life wasn't fair simply because they lost a game or didn't have a pool in their garden like their neighbors did. She pitied those naïve souls, the ones that had no clue what life really entailed.

Life wasn't fair, but only the ones put through rough times of loss and failure truly understood what that meant. Innocent souls were harmed and cut into pieces, shattered because of reality. Life was about so much more than partying and having fun. You should cherish every moment of happiness and love. You never know when that moment will be your last one.

Jasmine never understood just how lucky she was to have a grandmother like Theresa. She took her for granted, a mistake she would regret for the rest of her remaining days on earth. You don't know how much you can miss something or someone you love until you lose them. Life took away the one thing left living for, the only person that truly loved her, leaving Jasmine in a deep and dark hole of meaningless misery.

She was swallowed by the waves of deprivation and lost the ability to breathe in the endless sea called hurt. Jasmine would never be the same lively, joyful soul she once had been. The irreversible scars had taken their toll, leaving her to mourn and try to rebuild her life, even though she did not see the necessity of such an act. She'd rather be taken away from this miserable place herself and find peace together with her family.

Living with you grandmother, knowing you never got the chance to meet your birth parents, hurt. It was nothing compared to the loneliness she was caught up in now. She hadn't known what she was missing out on, yet now she could easily see what she lost. She could pretend all she wanted, but her grandmother was gone and would never return.

To make matters worse, she was legally found too young to stay on her own, partly because the judges feared her sanity after everything she had been through in her seventeen years of life. Since Jasmine didn't have any family members left, she was sent to the one person left to take care of her: her godmother Gabriella. She'd only seen the woman once, too long ago to remember. She was entitled as a godparent by her mother before the terrible accident happened that took Jasmine's parents away from her at the tender age of merely 5 weeks.