Chapter 14: Uncovering Pieces of Truth

Copyright 2013 © Rosesareforever

Delicate Hearts

Chapter 14

'Uncovering Pieces of Truth'

The time of presents and family gatherings had arrived. Tonight would be Christmas Eve. Jasmine tried to be as cheerful as she possibly could, but Lucas clearly saw straight through her well-built façade. The other Wood family members seemed to be oblivious to Jasmine’s struggle, which was no surprise if she was being honest. “You suck at pretending,” Lucas told her as she buttoned her onyx coat. She was surprised he actually made a comment about it. The tension was still palpable between them after their fight. Neither of them had the guts to bring the subject up and resolve their issues.

“At least I try to pretend I’m enjoying myself,” she retorted with an eye roll, slightly annoyed. Lucas had been brooding all morning – ever since Gabriella told him he was obligated to join the family trip. He’d been nagging and quarreling until Gabriella finally told him Grandma Diana was looking forward to seeing all her grandchildren. Somehow that shut Lucas up. Jasmine guessed he kind of liked Diana, opposite to his feelings for the rest of the family. She couldn’t wait to meet the one person Lucas didn’t despise.

“At least I don’t pretend I’m okay when obviously I’m not,” Lucas shot back, clearly not done speaking. “Instead of putting energy into pretending, you should be dealing with your loss.” His words hit home, hard. Jasmine’s eyes widened, tears welling up, as she halted her movements. That was a low blow, true, but low.

“I’m not going to sugarcoat it because everyone acts like you’re a porcelain doll that can break at any moment. Man up. Your grandma died. I get it. It sucks, but you have to move on. Not dealing with that shit only makes it worse,” Lucas told her, trying to give her advice in a seriously messed up way. No one ever straight out told Jasmine she needed to move on.

You don’t fucking understand,” Jasmine hissed through clenched teeth, forcefully pushing Lucas aside and moving past him.

“Maybe I don’t, but I do know this isn’t fucking healthy,” he retorted as he let her pass. Jasmine didn’t look back as she walked to the garage, not in the mood to discuss the subject any further. She desperately tried to hold back her tears. Deep down she knew Lucas had a solid point, yet she couldn’t bring herself to accept it.

As she stepped into the garage, she noticed Nathan putting their bags in the trunk of his sleek silver Lamborghini. “You’re driving?” Jasmine asked a little surprised, halting in front of Nathan.

“Yeah. Mom and dad took the Mercedes, we’re taking my car. Dad doesn’t want Lucas driving. He knows Lucas never follows the speed limit and tends to drive like a complete lunatic,” Nathan explained with a grin before closing the trunk with a loud thud.

“Does Lucas already know?” Jasmine asked with a raised eyebrow. She honestly couldn’t believe that Lucas would listen to his father. Frank was the last person Lucas would follow orders from.

“Uh, that’s kind of the issue…” Nathan said nervously, trailing off. “Dad kind of took the keys of all the cars and motorcycles when he left, leaving only my key and spare key behind.” Jasmine’s eyes widened.

“They already left?” she questioned, surprised. Nathan nodded. She had no idea Gabriella and Frank were already on their way to Phoenix. They didn’t even take the time to tell them goodbye.

“We should leave as well. I still have to pick up Lucy,” Nathan explained before the door suddenly burst open. His eyes nervously shot to the door as Lucas walked in the garage at a fast pace, his body tense with rage.