Chap.2

I sat on the other side of the desk, my eyes glued to my trembling hands as he continued burning holes through me with his intimidating stare.

“What are you doing in my office?”

“That...Actually sir, I sent an email asking for a job like Neha suggested and then I got a reply after what seemed forever telling me to come to this place for an interview today so I did...” I dared myself to look into his eyes, “so here I am.”

“I don’t remember asking for your life story,” he glowered at me, his voice firm. I averted my gaze back to my hands. “You haven’t got the job.”

“What?” my eyes darted up to his face. He pursued his mouth in a self-satisfied smirk as I stared at him in utter disbelief.

“I don’t like repeating myself, get out.”

“But how c-“

“Get out.”

“I kn-“

“Get out!” he bellowed the order and I nearly jumped out of my skin as I stood up faster than the speed of light. “Go!”

I had already turned on my heel and headed for the door, tears prickling in my eyes. I balled my hand into a fist just as I was about to open the door.

You came here for a reason Isra.

Fair enough I may not have made the best first impression but I don’t deserve this amount of disrespect. Who does he think he is to kick me out like this?

Ya Allah, I hope that what I’m about to do isn’t wrong...Bismillah

I turned around and clutched my skirt with both hands in an attempt to stop them from shaking so I didn’t give him the satisfaction of knowing that he terrified me. He was currently looking through a file and I wanted to do nothing other than hit him across the face with it.

“No.”

He raised an eyebrow at me before returning to the file, shaking his head slightly.

“I’m not going anywhere because I came here for a job and you’re going to give it to me. But until then,” I looked around the room and was satisfied to see a leather couch which I sat on courageously. “I will sit right here.”

“I can’t and I won’t give a job to someone like you,” he dropped the file onto the desk and stood up.

“What do you mean? It’s easy all you have to say is ‘you’re hired Isra’ and then I can go home and Neha won’t be upset that I don’t have a job. Sir, I know that I gave you a bad first impression of myself but trust me when I say you won’t regret employing me I-“

“Why would I employ someone like you? You’ll do nothing but shame my company. What the hell are you wearing?” he spat in disgust.

I sprung up to my feet and felt the anger rise in my blood. “Clothes, I’m wearing clothes sir. Just like all your staff. But the difference is that I’m covering all of my body. Now if we’re done discussing fashion, I’d like to get a job.”

There was silence as he approached me in the same manner he did earlier. “Get me a coffee”

Wait what? That actually worked? Wow, who knew it’d be so easy to get a job.

“That’s it? Sir, you don’t have to go easy on me just because it’s my first day. You know what Neha says all the time sir? No pain, no gain. That’s why she's the reason I’m here today. But seriously sir, I can handle more than just getting coffee.”