Chap.6

I held back the strong urge to spit in the steaming coffee in my hand as I took it to sir. Yup, the douchebag I call my boss had called me and poured the coffee in one of the plants and then told me to make his coffee. “I asked you to make me coffee, not Julie,” he had growled. It turns out Julie is a traitor since she ratted me out to sir and had told him that I got her to make his coffee. She couldn’t have just said I made it could she?

Annoyed, I knocked – well, more like banged – on the door. After a few moments I heard a faint “Come in” and so I entered. I found the devil himself sat at the desk, tapping away on the laptop. I refrained from rolling my eyes and proceeded in placing the cup filled with hot bitterness in front of him. Seriously, he’s at home...is there a need in bringing work home? There’s a reason for the stupid office.

“You can go,” he spoke, annoyed.

I was about to point out that a ‘thank-you’ would be nice; even though there’d be no point since this human with no heart would never show appreciation to anyone, let alone me. Never. But my phone rang, preventing me from saying anything to the man.

“Hello?” I spoke into it without checking the caller ID.

Is this Isra?” a familiar feminine voice spoke.

“This is she,” I confirmed.

“Guess who’s visiting you and your sister?” she squealed. I pulled my phone away from my ear and it was none other than my favourite cousin on the phone; Hafsa. The excitement started bubbling inside me as the thoughts of seeing her again ran through my mind. Hafsa has been studying in America for two years so it’s been hard to communicating regularly with the time difference and school and unwanted stress. But since we were young; it was always me, Neha and Hafsa. We were practically inseparable so you can imagine how much I had cried the day she had to leave England. However, even though I would love to see her again, it’s a bit out of the blue that she’s going to randomly show up in London.

“Are you serious? I hope this isn’t some sick joke because I shall cut you if it is,” I threatened.

She just laughed in response, “Well, unfortunately for you... I’m serious. Actually, I’m currently at the airport so Insha’Allah you’ll see me tonight. Gosh we have a lot to catch up on!”

We both squealed at once and I couldn’t help the grin that formed on my face.

“Have a safe journey Insha’Allah, I’ll see you tonight!”

After exchanging salaams, I hung up and, for a moment, was startled by sir’s presence. I’d completely forgotten that he was here. Better yet, that I was in his room. The look he was giving me didn’t go unnoticed though, neither did the words that he muttered which were along the lines of me being “annoying” and something about “distracting” him from his work. Please, like I said, there’s a reason for the stupid office.

---

                                                  “What!” Hafsa stared at me with wide eyes at the end of my story about my current job and my current boss and my current dislike towards him. It was rather amusing, her facial expression. We – me, Neha and Hafsa – were all sprawled out on the living room floor with all sorts of junky snacks entering our mouths as we had our little catch-up session while watching episodes of The Cosby Show. No, that’s a lie. We weren’t watching the show, we were too engulfed in each other’s life stories but the show is funny, that I know for sure.

“Ok, enough about me...what’s been going on in your life!”

A blush crept onto her face for a moment and she shrugged her shoulders. “I guess...not a lot,” she said. “Just...imightbegettingmarriedbutitsnobiggie.”