I Am A Monster : Chapter 48

AshleyHill9, I was planning to write this later, but out of appreciation of your encouraging comment(s), I'm writing this chapter early for you.

Chapter 48

I sit bolt upright in my bed.

I forgot, I realize. I can't believe I forgot....

Alexa is in my head again, alert and agitated. My eyes are glued to Sabrina's face. Her expression is unreadable, her eyes unfathomable. She stares at me blankly, with no emotion whatsoever in her facial expression.

"Sabrina," I say desperately. "It--it was--it said, 'The prophecy will start at the new beginning of thirty'." My voice trembles.

"Anything else?" she asks sharply.

"N-no."

"Bree, this prophecy is going to come true in twelve days. Are you sure--?"

"Yes!" I insist. "I'm ready."

"It's not...about you," says Sabrina, lowering her gaze.

We all look towards Amari. She's on her bed, her face paler than usual, her hair splayed gracefully on her pillows. She's only a few beds down. A nurse is tending to her, dabbing at her bloodstained shoulder with a cotton ball. It's dipped in a thick, sticky white substance.

"Do you think...?" I whisper, not finishing my thought.

"That she'll be ready?" Sabrina straightens. I see the pain in her eyes. "In twelve days?"

"No." The answer comes out of Emma's mouth. "Can we do anything to speed up the process of her healing? We want to give her a better chance in January, don't we?"

"There...there is one thing," says Sabrina quietly. "But first, Bree, I want to hear your opinions on what's going to happen when the prophecy comes."

"Um," I say, blushing as Emma and Sabrina both look at me expectantly. Then I straighten, squaring my shoulders determinedly. "Yes. Amari is going to fight..." my voice cracks. I clear my throat. "She's going to fight a blond vampire. I...I had a vision about it," I admit.

"What happened in the vision?" Emma asks. I can see that she's trying to sound serious, but she can't keep the note of curiosity out of her voice.

"It was a very violent fight. But, in the end..."--a single tear slips down my cheek--"in the end, he'll...he'll kill her."

Everyone is silent--all three of us--as I let it sink in. Then Emma breaks the silence.

"How d'you know it's true?" she counters, leaning on the wall, arms crossed and eyes narrowed skeptically.

"I don't," I admit, sighing. "As I said, it was just a vision."

Sabrina closes her eyes. "I can't let that happen," she says, looking down at her hands. They ball into fists. She looks up, hatred burning in her eyes. "I can't..." She runs out of the room.

"Wait!" I cry. "Emma, stop her!"

"Wha'--?"

"Stop her!"

Emma turns and runs in the same direction Sabrina was. A minute later, Emma walks back into the room, Sabrina trailing a few feet backwards, with an angry, annoyed expression on her pretty face.

"What d'you want?" Sabrina demands coldly, stopping two yards away from my bed.

"Sabrina, you said there was a way to heal Amari in time for the prophecy," I remind her.