I Am A Monster : Chapter 7

This chapter is dedicated to Gemma1234567891, who is my first follower! Thank you, Gemma! Also, a special shout-out to colemana, who recently voted for me. Thanks! And don't forget Baalstrum, a regular reader, voter, and commenter. I'll try to put in anyone who votes or comments at the beginning so that people who helped me start this all will be known to anyone who reads this!!!

One more thing: I am trying to update once or even twice a day, so you really don't need to worry about waiting, like, a WEEK for the next chapter to come out. I hate it when people do that to me so I hope I never have to do that to you. I'll try not to delay writing, but I'll always have a backup chapter that's not published yet in case I have to leave without time to make a chapter. So, yeah. Thank you so much for reading! Okay, now I'm babbling. Sorry. Read on!

Chapter 7

For a second, I stare at the girl, and she stares at me. Then something in my mind clicks. I slump forward, and I feel the familiar feeling of entering a vision.

I'm in a small village. The street is made of cobblestone. The grass is neat and manicured. People are going about their normal business.

Then I hear the scream of a woman, shrieking in terror. I instantly recognize the scream as my mother's. People raise their heads, panic-stricken, and I run full-tilt towards the sound of Mom's scream.

"No!" Dad yells. "Bree!" He tries to grab onto my shoulder, but I shake his hand off, tears stinging my eyes. Our house is on fire. I charge right in.

I'm vaguely aware of my shirt burning. I run through the house until I find my mother's body lying on the floor. I scream in anger, rage, pain, loss, and a dozen other emotions. I grab her around the waist and run straight through the window. There is a shattering of glass, and then I'm laying her softly down in the grass and dropping to the ground and rolling in the grass. Then I crawl over to her. Both of my arms are singed and bleeding, from both burns and cuts from the window. I ignore the pain, though it washes everything in red, and stare into my mother's face. Her face is slack, with a hint of surprise and fear. Her eyes are closed and her skin is pale. When I touch my hand to her forehead, it's cold. She has no pulse. She's not breathing. She has no heartbeat.

I sob, burying my head in her cold chest, as Dad comes running over. When he sees her, he freezes. Shaking his head, he slowly backs away, muttering, "No, no, no...not your mother....No...."

More houses are on fire. More people scream. I hear shrieks of pain, cries of anguish. I ignore them. Only one face exists to me now: The face of my mother, of her smile, of the mischievous gleam in her eyes she sometimes gets. I shake with the sobs. Bending over her body, I see her necklace. The diamond glints on her chest.

I slowly and carefully prop her up. Then I undo the clasp, my hands shaking violently, and put the necklace around my own neck.

One day, you will end this. I think of Mom's words that she told me so many years ago. I take the diamond at the center of the necklace and press it against my chest.

"I will, Mom," I sob. "For you."

"Bree!" Dad yells. "They're here! They're here! C'mon, we need to go!"

I don't move. I stare down at Mom. My own tear falls on her face and rolls down her cheek. She's dead...gone....

"BREE!" Dad yells, barreling towards me.

Dead....

He catches up to me and shakes me. I don't respond. I stare down at Mom's corpse.

Gone....