Epilogue - Rewritten but Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

Enjoy this last ever post for...The Dragon's Heir!

Signing out for the last time in this book.

Belle xxx

~

Epilogue

I stood there, tense and worried. To my right was Harrison, and Christian on my left. Still, I couldn't help my coming fear and worry. My heart was racing, and I couldn't stop myself from wringing my hands. My entire body was itching and quivering with worry.

What if I didn't make a good queen?

"Princess Arabelle Jasmine Tiona and Kaloua of Ice, do you swear by the heavens above, and by the crown, that you and your noble dragon will serve the kingdom as a Generals of the Army, Carers of the poor, healers of the sick and Guardians of the land. Will you put the kingdom before your own self?" The coronater said, reading from an old dusted book. It had been recovered from the secret archives below the castle that began all of this – I made sure to transfer all of the books out and create a public library for the townsfolk. Even if many of the stories within the books were filled with the lies of the past, it was still our history and the only source of information on dragons.

"I swear by the heavens I will do as has been written," I said, turning to look at Kaloua. He was dressed in his Dragonore armour, which had been fixed up since the battle so that it sparkled and shone magnificently. He nodded agreement so I spoke for him, "Kaloua of Ice swears by the heavens to do as has been written."

The coronater nodded, "Then take this crown and staff, and allow your people to show their loyalty to their new queen."

Harrison turned to me, holding a glittering crown in his hands. It was made from some sort of metallic material that changed colour in the light but stayed mostly a beautiful silver colour. It was swirled in an intricate design, and had emeralds imbedded into its base, with a larger one framed in the centre. I lowered my head and allowed him to place it on my dark hair, which had been done into a ceremonial bun for today that I couldn't wait to get out of. He passed me a staff, made from the same material with an emerald on the top. It was a dramatic gesture that held no true meaning: just ceremonial really.

"Long lived Queen Arabelle of Tiona, and her dragon Kaloua of Ice!" Harrison cried, then had a nurse help him lower himself into a bow. It had been a few weeks since the battle, but he was still awfully weak.

I turned to face the crowded hall, which was full to the brim with the people of the town. I had demanded that they be allowed to seat in the hall to watch me be crowned their queen. It seemed only fitting that they should be allowed to approve of their Queen in the same way that the nobles did. I cleared my throat, clutching onto the staff nervously. It wouldn't be very fitting of a Queen to have a shaky voice for her first command, would it?

"Rise now."

In perfect syncronisation, the people rose from their knees and began to cheer various things. It made my heart feel warm and made my confidence flow. Christian would have a private ceremony later with only a select few to title him as my advisor, as Arthur's advisor had been recently sent to the dungeons with the late King. Then there was the question of Harrison and when he would be able to stand on his own for longer than an half an hour again.

I looked to Harrison and passed him my staff, "As Queen, I demand you look after this while I go for a fly." My smile was light and teasing, but he already knew that k wasn't being serious.

He chuckled and took the staff graciously, "Of course, your highness."

"I'll come and check on you later," I said, giving him a quick peck on the cheek. I dashed into a small curtained area which had been set up for me to change, and wasted no time getting into a pair of pants and a blouse, sliding on my same old boots. I tore my hair out of its bun and let it flow free, leaving the glittering crown on for now. Whoever had designed it had made sure to add some special clips for when I went flying. Smart thinking on their part. I went back out and jumped onto Kaloua's back, seeing Christian was already on Nadi.

"Ready for a fly?" He said, his boyish smirk on his face. He hadn't wanted to wear something dressy, and had come in casual pants and a white shirt, which was now without a tie and half open. Somehow I knew that the female residents of the room didn't have a problem with his casual dress.

"When am I not?" I said and looked up. I had ordered an openable window in the roof for a moment like this one. Living with a dragon called for some alterations in the original architecture. I signalled for it to be opened and turned to Christian, "Race to the mountains."

"You're on!" He said and flew out, Nadi's red figure a meer blur. The townsfolk began to cheer and the spectacle of the brilliant red dragon flying out of the building right in front of them. Seeing dragons was still new and amazing to them, and it made me happy to know that they didn't fear them.

At the end of it all, my wish I had asked Arifion for had been granted: the dragons had returned.

I grabbed onto Kaloua's scales as I always did, smiling happily as I prepared for the burst of speed that was going to come, 'Come on, lets fly.'

I felt his dragon-laugh rumble through his body, 'I was just giving them their most needed head start.'