Chapter Eight - Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

Dedicated to crazy_waffle for her amazing cover! It is the beautiful blue one that will forever remain the original cover of this book!

~

Chapter Eight

My eyes flutter open to the sound of tapping. It is still dark and I rub my eyes. Looking around, I see he room empty and my window shut tight. Huh. I lay back down and snuggle into the sheets, thinking I was hearing things. Tap, tap, tap. There it goes again. I sit up in my bed and look around, my eyes lingering on the window. I step out of the bed, my feet hitting the cold ground as I shuffle over to the window. I open it and the cold breeze rushes in. A sign that Winter in coming.

I stick my head out the window and look around. Nothing.

'Belle! Up here!' I hear the all to familiar voice in my head say and turn my head up to see Kaloua, balanced steadily on the roof.

'Kaloua!' I scream in his mind. I grab his head and drag it down to my level, 'What on earth are you doing here!'

He looks at me with his sad ice blue eyes, 'I just wanted to see if you were okay. That, and the witch and Renaldo wanted to come to check on you too.'

I peer around his head and see the two figures sitting on the saddle on his back. I sigh and climb down the side of my house. Kaloua does the same and I rush him over to the shadows. Snow and Renaldo both jump off and I narrow my eyes at them,

"Why did you all come here? I specifically told you not to! If any of you get caught - especially you Kaloua - your as good as dead!"

Snow steps forward and places a hand on my shoulder, "We couldn't let you go back here alone. Most of these people want you dead or at least gone."

Sighing, I stalk off. Renaldo catches up to me,

"Me lady, where yer goin'?"

Without turning my head, I say, "Follow me. I will take you somewhere I am certain you will be safe." I only know one place like this. Snow, Kaloua and Renaldo all follow me through the town, but we stick to the shadows. Once we reach the castle, I head around the back, to a small chapel that is only a pile of rubble now. Sometimes, when I was really little, my father would take me here and we would explore all the areas here. There is a million and one different catacombs below it and about the same amount of secret ways out.

I go around to the side entrance, since the front entrance is a mass pile of rubble. I lift the few rocks out of the way and crawl into the small entrance. I stand in the chapel and tears brink on spilling.

----------

Arabelle crawls through the small hole,

"Hurry up, daddy!" She squeals, standing on the other side and giggling as her dad tries to squeeze through the gap. He brushes his black hair off and picks Arabelle up and onto his shoulders,

"This chapel was built when King Salvidor first restored the peace." He would say and walk over to a massive wall with a painting of the King and a golden dragon, "He was said to be the greatest king ever to live. Everyone loved and trusted him and his dragon, Arifion."

The young girl scowls, "But dragon are all made up, daddy. Mother says so."

Her father laughs and sets her down on a blanket they moved in there, "Your mother doesn't like to believe in things, Arabelle. Promise me you will always believe?"