Chapter Five - Rewritten but Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it! See the cover in the media section.

There are a few strange things happening with my writing here. So you understand, whenever speech is written in single indices (for example, 'go away') it is done in telepathic speech. I will also italicise it to help differentiate the two. Also, I swap to third person on purpose to show the perspective of another character.

~

Chapter Five

Unsurprisingly, I lost the race back.

Not only had I never ridden a broomstick on my own before, which was enough to make me unsteady, the egg in my bag added an extra weight that put me off balance. It had taken me almost double the time to return that it had taken the witch. When I did finally make it back, Renaldo had already been given a room to sleep in and was completely unconscious. Melissa made me something to eat before sending me off down the house to the room she had prepared for me. She also told me that she had put my other belongings that I had left behind into my room already.

The view the room had over the mountains was stunning to say the very least. The sun was now well into the sky and I could see all the way across the mountain and down into the woods below. I felt a lonely ache in my chest when I could just make out the tips of the castle in the distance. What was happening there now? Were my brothers worried for me? I suddenly recalled the expression on Daniel's face when I was leaving the castle and felt guilty about running. He would no doubt be punished in my place for letting a crown traitor get away. I moved away from the window to stop myself from having any more negative thoughts. I had a bigger issue on my hands now.

I put the bag on a chair in the corner of the room and pulled out the dragon egg from within. It suddenly felt a whole lot heavier now that I was tired - or, at least, now that I had realised just how tired I really was. I gently placed it by the fire and curled my knees up under my chin on the bed, staring at it curiously. I had the urge to grab a rock and smash it open to see if it really was a dragon that was inside, but I knew that will do no good. If there was a dragon inside that egg, there certainly wouldn't be a live one if I did that. I walked over and picked up the egg, placing it in my lap. Strangely, I got the sudden urge to cradle it like a child. I started to stroke it, as though the dragon could feel the smooth palm of my hand through the shell.

"What will it take for you to hatch? I can't go home until you are fully grown. So the sooner you hatch and grow, the better," I sounded so selfish saying things like that, and felt stupid talking to an egg, yet it was my true feelings. I wanted to go home, no matter how bad it was back there.

'I can only hatch when the time is right...' I heard a voice in my head, soft and faint. A little worried, I looked around the room, wondering if someone else was in here. No one. Staring down at the egg, I suddenly realised the words had come from inside it.

"You can hear me?" I asked, hoping I wasn't becoming crazy.

'We are bonded, of course I can here you,' the voice said again, suddenly ticking me off with the tone it used. How was I supposed to know things like that?

"Well, I'm new to the whole dragon thing, so give me some time to catch up."

'Of course. I'm sorry, Arabelle,' when the voice said my name, I had to resist the urge to drop the egg with surprise.

"You know me?"

'As you know me. Just dig deeper.'

I stared down at the egg a little longer without saying anything. Just dig deeper? What was that supposed to mean? I had only been given the egg today, and yet some strange voice in my head was telling me I already knew it. What did you expect when you spoke to the egg? I asked myself stupidly. I rubbed my temples, trying to get rid of the headache that kept persisting. Damn Renaldo, I cursed him silently as I put the egg close to the fire again and wrapped it with my blanket. The room was warm enough that I wouldn't need it.