Chapter Two - Rewritten but Unedited

This book is now available for purchase on Tapas! Please download the app (https://tapas.io/) available on both Apple and Android and search for the book to support it!

Thank you @Naomi053 for the beautiful interpretation of Evangelina Tiona in the media section!

~

Chapter Two

The book was written by Rufis Tiona himself. After my discoveries today, I finally realised why he was so important, and that this book was exceptionally precious. One of my ancestors had written everything within this, and now only my eyes could see it.

I scrolled down the pages I had read before and flipped to the section about dragon riders. I had never really read this part of the book properly before, only skimmed through it. Why would the King feel the need to see my family history with dragons? Think, think! I thought to myself as I stared at the words. They were in a different language that most children of noble birth had to learn; Dragonese. I know, a very creative name, but it was what people spoke in the era of the dragon. Most of the important names features throughout the book appeared to be of Royal families or decent, except for one that stood out to me. Rufis Tiona. I found this one really confusing. Why had he put his own name down as a dragon rider when he was the King's advisor,? I flipped to the page that had information on himself. Since he had written it to be objective, it was done as though someone else had written it.

Rufis Tiona was born in the first year of the first dragon. He was given the marking of a dragon's heir and found a golden egg on his birthday. He guarded the egg and when it hatched, he continued to guard it fiercely. When it was still a hatchling, the prince found out about Rufis's secret. When Rufis met the King's son Salvidor, the Prince immediately wanted the dragon. Rufis was forced by his father to give Prince Salvidor the precious being and in return was given the honour of being Prince Salvidor's advisor when he became King. It is said that one day, one of Rufis' decendents will be the dragon heir again, but will have to claim the throne that was rightfully Rufis', as a dragon heir is a ruler chosen by the gods to serve both humans and dragons alike and keep the peace between these two competing species.

I closed the book with disbelief, my heart pounding and my breath short. He had to be lying, right? There was no way, but what reason did he have to lie when writing a history book that may never be seen by anyone? This couldn't be right! There was no possible way it could be true; and yet, here it was, written in the book as clear as day. Did this mean that my family were the rightful rulers? I rushed down the stairs with excitement to tell my mother, without noticing the King standing at the door, waiting for me. The look on his face reminded me of an animal when it sees its prey cornered. He gave me a forced smile,

"Arabelle, what a surprise." Liar, I thought. "What are you so excited about?"

I choked back all the insults and angered words I could think of. There was no use in giving away what I knew, not yet. I didn't have anything I could use at the moment in my favour. Instead I simply curtsied and smiled excitedly, "It is a surprise for Prince Christian, your majesty. I need to apologise for my horrid behaviour earlier today."

My mother came up the stairs at that moment, which I had never been more relieved for, and stroked my arm, "She is precious, isn't she?"

The King nodded, obviously deciding to leave whatever goal he had been planning to another day, "I was just coming to check in on dear Evangelina. Is her condition improving?"

"I am, your," a loud cough followed the weak sounding voice, "grace. Slowly."

We all turned around to see a pale, frail looking Evangelina walking down the stairs, with Prince Harrison at her side. She looked even worse than she normally did, which wasn't good. Her skin looked like chalk and her usually golden hair almost resembled straw. Anything I used to admire about her beauty was gone thanks to her sickness. Although I knew I should feel more concerned, I had bigger issues. I slowly snuck around the King and to my mother. While the King was distracted talking to Evangelina, I whispered to my mother,