Chapter 4 - Reclaim Our Place

Chapter Four

Reclaim Our Place

“St. Agnes…” Victor got out of the carriage and contemplated his old home with conflicted feelings, a mix of nostalgia and hate. “The blind city.”

“Blind, deaf, but certainly not mute.” Ethel joined him, her composure straight with pride, the malice in her eyes hidden behind the lacy layers of her black hat. She looked like a dark widow. “Cursed place, this is.” The small smile drawn in her lips contrasted with the disgust in her tone. “I would bet my body and soul it hasn’t changed a bit.”

“We will soon find out.”

“It looks just the same.” Selina was the last one to step out of the carriage that, with a swift gesture from Victor, promptly left them. She looked around with amazement intertwined with fear. “And yet, so different”

The small city of St. Agnes presented itself in front of them in its full glory. Cold, ancient and eerily beautiful, its constant fog gave it an air of perpetual mystery, of guilt and secrets, its stoned streets were filled with distracted people, its equally stoned buildings looking dark and menacing. St. Agnes felt very unwelcoming, but it also felt like home. It felt familiar while also feeling completely foreign. The three siblings felt like they belonged and, at the same time, completely misplaced.

“It’s a funny thing…” Victor mumbled, “That the place where we were the happiest is also where we were destroyed.”

Ethel rested her hands on her hips and walked a few steps further, a smile wide in her face. “Well, maybe it’s time to return the favor.”

Victor returned her smile, though his was more discreet. “They won’t know what hit them.”

Selina turned around and her breath was stolen away from her for a few seconds. There it stood, as tall, powerful and proud as always – the von Mallesch house,theirhouse. It was rather painful to see it so deteriorated by time, knowing as well as she did how it once stood so royally, but Victor had a completely different perspective of it.

“It’s still standing,” he said, as he put a hand on her shoulder, pride leaking out of his words, “standing like us. Our legacy, waiting for our return. This house wouldn’t let itself disappear.” He looked at her. “It won’t be in vain.” He stepped forward, his sisters following.

Victor spared a few moments to caress the raven carved on their door. He pushed the heavy door open and, slowly, walked inside. They carefully stepped into their once magnificent and grandiose living room. It was unsettling how it looked so abandoned, so dusty and weak. They walked as if entering a sacred place, with reverence and love. Each one of them took different directions, each contemplating different objects – objects that reeked of old memories.

Selina could almost see it happening in front of her, the life they had before, the childish laughter that once filled the now silent building. Victor stood in front of an old, large portrait that was once pinned against the wall, now it lay forgotten on the ground. He slowly ran his fingers through it, carrying layers of dust and dirt with them. He took a deep breath – this portrait meant everything.

It was the portrait of a family, one that was long gone. A tall, slim man stood on his feet – he was William von Mallesch. William looked important and respectable. His skin was tanned, his hair, short beard and eyes were dark brown. He looked kind and caring. One of his hands strongly squeezed the shoulder of a little twelve year old boy, who looked innocent and smiled shyly. His other hand gently rested on a woman’s shoulder.

The woman – Grace von Mallesch - sat in a noble chair, her skin clear and porcelain white, her hair long and dark, her eyes a beautiful shade of green. She was delicate, softly holding on her lap a little girl of eight years of age, who held a doll and looked through the portrait timidly, half hiding her face in her mother’s hair. Grace held another girl’s hand, a fourteen year old who stood dignified and shameless, staring with an almost daring look on her face.