Chapter 11 - The Melancholy of Selina LaFontaine

Chapter Eleven

The Melancholy of Selina LaFontaine

“This is the proper way to serve your guests.” Edna finished her lesson, gracefully handing Selina a cup of tea. Her eyes turned from her task to watch the little girl in front of her, to make sure she was paying close attention. Immediately, she noticed the child looking at the window with an expression of pure wonder. She turned, to see what cheered her so, and saw a small bird resting on her windowsill, singing a joyful song.

Selina was giggling at the sight, marveled at the bird’s beauty. Edna lightly snapped the little girl’s hand, demanding her immediate attention. The child blushed and looked down in regret. “I’m sorry, Miss Edna.”

“Pay attention, child.”

“Yes, Miss Edna.”

“Now, you will serve me properly, as if I was a most esteemed guest.”

Selina nodded and happily got up, starting her task with energy.

“Your back is not straight enough,” Edna reprimanded and Selina quickly corrected herself, “elbows close to your waist. Walk more gracefully. Don’t tremble. Your smile is not lady like, more gentleness to your voice. Strive for a more delicate poise.”

Edna sighed with patience before returning her eyes to the small girl. “It’s not nearly good enough. You need to practice. Do it again.”

Selina bowed and gifted her caretaker with a smile. “Yes, Miss Edna.”

“Beatrice!”

Selina kept her eyes locked on the trey in front of her.

“Miss Beatrice!” Madam Price’s tone rose and Selina finally recognized her second name, being snapped out of her recollections. She had been daydreaming, lost in distant memories.

“I’m sorry, Madam Price, I was… distracted.” She smiled apologetically.

“It’s quite alright, Beatrice. Just never let Lady Lenora catch you like that.” Madam Price winked at her and Selina relaxed. She felt a wave of gratitude towards the older woman. “So, hurry up and take the trey to Sir Amos. He and his guests are in his office. Do you already know where it is, or would you have me accompanying you?”

“I think I can do it, though I thank you for your kindness.” She slightly bowed to Madam Price and the older woman replied with a smile, leaving the kitchen to take care of her many other affairs with Selina right behind her, carrying the expensive trey with her.

Madam Price turned to the stairs, probably heading to the bedrooms, while Selina went straight ahead, towards Sir Skeffington’s office. When she found herself in front of the magnificently carved wooden doors, she stopped abruptly.

She had almost forgotten the most important detail.

Carefully, she rested the trey in a small table on the corridor. She reached for her pocket and grabbed a glass vial. Nervously, she glanced up and down the hall, making sure no one was approaching. Trembling, as she always was when she did this, she let the venom slide into, what was about to be, Sir Amos’s cup.

Selina grabbed the trey again, straightened up her back, took a deep breath and knocked on the door.

She was expecting to hear Amos’s voice allowing her to get inside, but instead, the door was opened for her. Standing at the door was Victor, smiling, his eyes shining at the sight of her. She mimicked his feelings and expression. He allowed her entrance by stepping aside.