Chapter 41 - The Ghost of Her

Chapter Forty-One

The Ghost of Her

“Let’s go, Preshea. It’ll be fun.” Young Victor smirked with mischief as he hid behind the tall window’s curtain on the living room. He was watching his two sisters peacefully spend their time on the outside and enjoying the soft afternoon breeze as they sat under the protective shadow of their backyard’s tree. Ethel was combing Selina’s hair, an odd past-time of hers that she seemed to take pleasure with, and Selina was playing with her new doll, singing and talking on her own.

Victor couldn’t wait to spread some mayhem. Preshea, his often unsure partner in crime, wasn’t too keen to participate though.

“I don’t know Victor… They look so happy on their own… Maybe we should just leave them alone.”

“Oh, don’t ruin this for me, Preshea. It’ll be fun!” Victor returned his eyes to her. “All you have to do is distract them. Go over there and talk about girl stuff. The rest is all up to me.” He smiled again.

“Alright, I’m going,” she said with a sigh.

Victor watched with glee as Preshea walked outside and went to his sisters. In only a few seconds, they were already engaged in conversation; although Preshea’s occasional guilty and concerned glances at him would soon give them away. Not long after, Selina had dropped her doll and gotten up to play with Preshea, an action that Ethel mimicked.

That was the moment he was waiting for. He grabbed the opportunity and ran to them, trying not to do much noise or draw too much attention. By the time Ethel noticed him approaching, Victor had already grabbed the doll and ran away with it, holding it high above his head and smiling with triumph.

“Look at what I found! Looks like I have a new toy!” he teased.

The girls turned their attention to him and Selina immediately gasped.

“No, Victor, that’s mine! Give me Sally back!” she pleaded.

“I found it, I should keep it,” he laughed and stuck his tongue out at her. “She’s mine now.”

Ethel eyed him with eyes blazing and, with her fists clenched, walked towards him.

“Give her the doll back, Victor. It’s not funny.”

“Make me.” He grinned.

Ethel walked faster, getting closer and closer to him. “Give her the doll, you know she will cry, give it to her!”

When she was close enough to reach the doll for herself, Victor yelled, “Catch it, Preshea!” and threw it at the blonde girl.

Preshea ran and caught the doll, looking utterly stunted and completely lost. Ethel turned her angry glare at her and Victor could actually see Preshea tremble. Ethel went to her and the smaller girl, looking terrified of her, quickly threw the doll back at Victor.

Victor caught it again and laughed. He waited until Ethel was close enough to taste victory again and threw the doll to Preshea again. Except, this time, he used too much strength and the doll flew too far away. It landed on the other side of the tall fence of their backyard. Ethel looked at Victor like she wanted to smack him.

“No! Sally!” little Selina cried.

“You complete idiot!” Ethel raised her arm and pointed to the outside. “Go out and get it right now and apologize to Selina!”

“I’m so sorry,” Preshea quickly said, but Ethel merely glanced at her, returning her deep glare back to her brother and folding her arms against her chest.