Chapter 32 - As We Fall

Chapter Thirty-Two

As We Fall

Everything was wrong. There was no ray of sunshine left in her world.

Selina wondered through the halls of the von Mallesch house in a trance like state. Feeling weak, she rested against a dark wall. She allowed her body to give up and slowly fall to the ground, her back always pressed against the hard and cold support.

She stayed there, looking ahead but not seeing anything. She didn’t have any more tears to spare and, even if she did, she wouldn’t allow herself to shed them. Her eyes felt raw and hurt from the effort of crying or from the effort of preventing it. She was so tired, so defeated.

She couldn’t tell how many hours passed since she sit on the floor of her house, without moving, without thinking and trying not to feel. Breathing was growing increasingly more difficult, she wasn’t sure if her heart was still beating – it felt like it had turned to stone or ripped apart from her chest.

Everything was silent and empty. There was no ray of sunshine, no warmth, no wide smile and cheerful laughter left. No future.

Against her will, she heard the soft sound of gentle footsteps approaching. Someone sat beside her. She didn’t need to turn her head to know it was Preshea.

The two women sat close to each other and Selina was grateful that Preshea didn’t ask anything – she didn’t even speak. They remained in silence for what felt like an eternity.

Finally, Preshea moved. She grabbed Selina’s hand and held it in her own. Preshea’s hands were warm and it was a satisfying contrast to Selina’s ice cold one.

Preshea suddenly broke the silence, whispering, “You’re a good girl.”

A new moment of nothingness was installed. After long minutes of stillness, Selina finally allowed a small and cynical smile to spread on her lips.

“No, I’m not,” she answered, her voice so bitter, it was almost unrecognizable to herself. Preshea looked at her, but Selina’s eyes never wavered from the distant sight she was holding. “I’m not the good girl everyone thinks I am. I lie, I kill and I hide. I’m just… better at hiding. I’m a coward. My mother knew it. She always told me… and she was right. I deserve this.”

Preshea didn’t reply and Selina didn’t speak another word either. Together, they just sat in new silence, lost somewhere far away in space and time.

***

Nicholas opened the door to the Skeffington’s library in a hurry. Albert had told him where to find him.

He quickly walked along the bookshelves, his footsteps echoing in the silent room. He was itching for a confrontation. This man… he thought he could get away with everything, but Nicholas would prove him wrong.

He finally saw the man he was looking for standing in front of a bookshelf, apparently concentrated on the open book he held in his hands – but Nicholas knew he had heard him arrive, he knew Gabriel McGrath was fully aware of his presence.

He walked towards him and stood close enough to be deemed menacing.

“I know what you’re doing,” he said. The fact that McGrath didn’t even think him worthy enough of his attention made him even angrier. The man didn’t even blink, he didn’t even look at him, his eyes and focus still on the book he was reading.

McGrath smiled lightly, before replying, in an ever so calm and confident voice, “I wish I could say the same to you.”

Nicholas clenched his hands into fists. He despised how McGrath always held his composure and always regarded everyone as if they were nothing but mildly amusing.