Chapter 34 - The Monster Within

Chapter Thirty-Four

The Monster Within

Selina burst into the bar, not caring about what others might think, not caring about bumping and stepping on everyone on her way - the only thought on her mind was to prevent tragedy and save Jack’s life.

She saw their table amongst all the drunken bodies and ran there, finding strength she didn’t know she possessed to fight against the crowd. She saw him lifting the glass to his lips and her heart ached and beat faster with fear. When she finally reached their table, she stared at the three people sitting, unable to speak, trying to control her fast breathing.

The only person looking more surprised and taken by her sudden appearance than Jack had to be Ethel. They both stared at her wide eyed, while Nicholas simply spared her a look of interest.

Jack had frozen with his drink lifted in mid-air, the glass dangerously close to his lips.

Selina was quick to summon all her ability to lie convincingly.

“I can’t believe it,” she said, pointing her finger to him. “You’re already with another woman?!”

Jack looked at her and then at Ethel, realization hitting him. “Oh, no, Bea-“

“You’re unbelievable!” she yelled, slapping the glass out of his hand. As it quickly found the ground, breaking into many pieces and spilling the beer all over the floor, Jack eyed her with a deeply confused expression, as if he couldn’t recognize her. Meanwhile, Ethel expressed nothing but quiet anger.

“What are you doing?” Jack asked, his eyes widened. To her amazement, no one at the bar seemed to have noticed the peculiar scene happening and the few who did were quick to shrug it off. Selina suspected that maybe it wasn’t that peculiar for the place. “This doesn’t look like you, Beatrice.”

“Well… looks like I’m not the only one who thought I knew the person I was with, huh?” she replied, much less confident. “I believed in you,” she continued, now completely genuine. Selina didn’t take her eyes from the man who had broken her heart. “I thought I saw so much more in you… Now I know I was wrong.” That said, and with her mission accomplished, Selina was quick to leave, glaring at Ethel for a moment and dreading to spend another second in his painful company.

“Beatrice!” she heard him call and she heard him getting up from his chair rather abruptly. She knew he was following her and that only fueled her intention of fleeing as fast as possible.

“Beatrice!” She felt his breath on her ear and his hand grabbing her arm. His touch burned, but she had no choice but to stop and face him. “Please, let me talk to you,” he begged. “That woman… I don’t even know her!”

She furiously freed herself from his poisonous grasp and replied, “That only makes it worse!”

“No!” He grabbed her again and insisted, “I mean, I don’t want anything to do with her, I-“

“I know,” she whispered, looking him in the eyes. “And yet, we both know it doesn’t change anything.”

“Can we please, just… just talk?” He let go of her, slowly.

“I believe we have already said everything there is to say to each other.”

“Bea, I don’t want to lose you.”

Selina smiled with bitterness. “You already have. You left me.” Her smile vanished. “I don’t want to see you again.” The look of sudden pain in his face was an exact copy of hers.

But she meant it.

***

She paced around the living room, not sure of how to feel. She waited for Ethel’s return with a mix of dread and impatience.