Chapter 52 - The Power of His Name

Chapter Fifty-Two

The Power of His Name

It was time.

Finally, after weeks of patient waiting, it was finally time to collect his deserved prize. The storm had passed, the water was cool again and St. Agnes was ready to accept, even if not ready to move on.

The story of Victor von Mallesch’s dark return would forever haunt the city. The story of the von Malleschs’ resurrection would live forever. So would the story of their fall.

Despite his mistakes, Victor had accomplished something. He had taken his father’s name out of obscurity, out of legend and brought it back into reality. The von Mallesch name would forever taint St. Agnes’ history; it would forever incite fear and blood. It would be a part of it, like a monument, eternal like time. It would always be a dark shadow over the grim city.

The proud raven was now immortal.

But not Ethel. She was dead. Suicide by her own poison. Much like her mother. Her body had been buried with no witnesses. She had left alone.

The proud raven was now invincible.

But not Victor. He had been locked away, much like his father. He never cried for innocence, though. He laughed.

The proud raven was immobile, here to stay forever.

But not Selina. She had run, never to return. Left alone as well, once again. No one knew how, no one knew to where. She had vanished.

The raven had been erased from the ashes, never to be forgotten again. It hung on the city’s skies, a menace, a reminder to the peoples of St. Agnes of what evil intent was capable of, of what revenge looked and felt like.

Chief Detective Jonathan Hazenberg smiled as he put down his cigarette with his black boot. It was a good story to tell and to remember. And in a few years it would be just that – a fascinating story of murder and madness.

He studied the powerful building in front of him – St. Agnes’ Central Bank.

He had been patient, he had been a fighter, cleverly hiding in the shadows of more prominent characters. He deserved to win.

Jonathan walked inside with a victorious step and a precious document in his hands. His steps echoed throughout the tall and spacious building. Every time his feet hit the stone floor, every granite column he passed by, he was closer and closer to his promising future.

He could finally retire. He would be rich and powerful in just a few minutes and he would finally be able to say goodbye to the wretched city. No one would ever see him again as well.

“Good morning,” he said to the man behind the counter, cheerful and excited. Everything was so close to his grasp.

“Good morning, Chief. What can I help you with?”

Jonathan smiled wide and slowly slipped the document to the man, without saying a word. The man read the paper with care and focus, his eyebrows furrowing deeply at the sight of the signature.

Victor von Mallesch. The dark name.

He took a deep breath and handed the paper back to the detective.

“I am sorry, Chief, but I’m afraid there is nothing I can do for you.”

“What?” Jonathan asked, surprised. “What do you mean?”

“I wish I could help you, Sir, I really do. You are a hero to the city and all, but I’m afraid I can’t help you.”

“What are you talking about?” Jonathan repeated, his tone slightly rising and his attitude changing completely. “I am holding an official document written and signed by Victor von Mallesch himself, in which he passes on to me everything he owns. Just give me the papers to sign.”