Chapter 19: Confrontations

Nirvana Evans

Navigating through a sea of hungry students was like walking into a stampede of elephants that hadn't eaten in days, dangerous and almost impossible. It was lunch time and everyone was in a frenzied rush to get to the cafeteria first. I could practically hear the mass of growling stomachs as River took my hand and pulled me towards the double doors. I sighed in relief when we stepped outside and away from the claustrophobic hallways, welcoming the fresh air with contempt. We headed to the table by the tree that had practically become ours and I sat down.

"I'm going to go get our lunch; wish me luck" River announced as he dropped his messenger bag on the table.

"Don't get eaten by the hungry students" I replied with a grin.

"I'll try. Do I get a parting kiss, my lady?" River teased imitating a British accent while smirking at me. I couldn't help the blush that crept up my neck as I thought of the kiss we'd almost shared in my bedroom. How could I have let it go that far? There was no doubt anymore about how much River really affected me. In the past, I would've shied away from a kiss the second I realized what was going on and yet last night I had done nothing to try to stop it. If Nate hadn't walked in on us I don't know what would've happened.

"You're going to buy lunch not slay a dragon" I rolled my eyes at him. We'd been reading King Arthur in English class today and River had convinced himself that he'd been a knight from medieval times in a past life. He pouted at me playfully and after much insisting on his part I gave him a small peck on the cheek before he left.

"What an adorable display of affection!" I heard a distinctive voice dripping with sarcasm. I didn't have to look to know who it was. There stood my arch enemy next to my ex-best friend. Tara was looking tall and proud in skin tight jeans, five inch heels and a shirt that was anything but modest. She flipped her long, black hair over one shoulder before sitting down across from me. Hazel copied her moves and I couldn't help but notice how she resembled a smaller, blonde version of Tara.

"What do you want?" I asked coldly.

"Is that any way to greet an old friend?" Hazel disapproved.

"Last I remember you said we weren't friends anymore" I reminded her. I tried not to let the hurt in my voice show but even after all that had happened I couldn't deny that I missed my friend. But the old Hazel was gone and in her place stood a bitchy-high heel wearing-Tara follower.

"True. I was wondering how you were holding up without me or Will but I see you've already replaced us with River. Too bad he won't last long. Enjoy him while you can because once he realizes just how much of a looser you are he'll dump you without a second thought" Hazel sneered.

"Well unlike you, River is a loyal friend" I shot at her.

"Difference is we were never actually friends. I was only using you to get closer to Will. Did you really think I would befriend a freak like you for no reason? But I don't need you anymore now that I've got everything I wanted" she admitted shamelessly. All I could do was stare at her in shock as I processed her confession. How could she have pretended to be my friend for so long just to get to Will? Did our friendship really mean nothing to her? All those sleepovers, all the secrets we shared with each other, enduring our first years of high school together and all the times she'd been there for me when I most needed her had all been fake? Our entire friendship had been based on lies.