Chapter 13: Enemy Infiltration

Chapter Thirteen: Enemy Infiltration

Nirvana Evans

As soon as I laid eyes on the scene that played out before me like a bad movie I abruptly stopped in my tracks which caused River to bump into my back. What on earth was Tara, my worst enemy, doing in my house and sitting at my dinner table chatting it up with dad as if she were an old family friend? Feelings of betrayal washed over me as I gazed around the table. First she stole my best friend and now my family’s attention too? Geez, she really had no limits. And how did she even know Nate anyway?

“Honey could you go get another chair for Ana’s new friend? He’s joining us for dinner” mom announced to dad who was in the middle of telling Tara one of his only-old-people-find-it-funny kind of lame joke.

“Nate, go get another chair for the boy” Dad passed it along to Nate who simply chuckled and did as he was told.

“I’m going to wash my hands” I said to no one in particular. River followed me to the kitchen. I took extra care as I washed my hands from elbows down with a palm full of soap. When I was in uncomfortable or nerve wracking (in this case both) situations I tended to depend on the habit of getting rid of a couple of germs. It was sort of like a stress reliever for me in a way. I usually resorted to taking showers when I was under stress but I’d have to settle for this.  

“Hey, hey I think they’re as clean as they’re gonna get” River commented as he placed his big hands over my soapy ones. I hadn’t realized I was still scrubbing away at them like a crazy person.

“Right” I said rinsing them off and stepping aside so he could proceed to wash his own hands. I tried my best not to comment on the poor way he washed his hands and headed back to the dining room. Nate had placed the extra chair next to my empty seat across from the Evil Queen. We sat down quietly and passed the food around to fill our plates.

“So where did you and your mom move from?” mom asked River when awkward silence descended on the table.

“Canada” River replied politely before shoving a spoonful of pasta into his mouth.

“Oh how nice. We took a family vacation to Niagara Falls last summer it was truly a breath taking site to see. So where does your mom work?” oh great, my mom was going to start her whole 20 questions routine.

“She’s a journalist for ‘Today’ magazine”

“I read that magazine like every day! That’s so cool” Tara added. River half smiled at her enthusiasm.

“Wait a second, aren’t you the boy who brought Ana home the night of the party? I knew I’d seen you before!” mom exclaimed suddenly causing my dad to choke on his food.

“Yep that was me” River said as he played with his fork nervously.

“What party? And why did a boy I’ve never even met bring my little girl home?” he questioned with a raised eyebrow.

“Michael relax and chew your food” mom advised.

“You women never tell me anything in this house” dad complained.

“I’m pretty sure you were there when I asked mom for permission, dad”

“Hmm” dad grumbled out and focused his attention back on his food.

“So are you two dating?” Nate asked out of nowhere. I shot him a glare as embarrassment colored my cheeks.

“No” River and I said simultaneously.