Chapter 5 Part I: Come As You Are

Chapter Five: part I

Nirvana Evans

I starred at the calendar that hung on my wall wishing that the date would magically change. But starring would get me nowhere, what I really needed was a time machine. Unfortunately we still lived in the 21st century and those weren't available to us yet. The dreaded day had finally arrived. It was Saturday and in just a few hours I would have to start getting ready for the party.

I had everything I needed; new clothes, permission, a ride, money and even a new bathing suit mom had gotten me that I most likely wouldn't wear. But I had it nonetheless.

I had practically everything. The only thing I was lacking was courage.

Courage to face my classmates. I wasn't part of the 'in crowd' and I didn't attend to parties or school dances. I was known as the school germ freak and Tara would mostly likely be there to gladly remind me of that fact. Tonight I was going out of my comfort zone. I was taking a risk. And I couldn't back out now because a) Hazel was on her way to my house, b)I had already promised Will I would go and c) mom threatened to cut off my allowance for the whole year if I didn't go. Did I mention she tends to be exaggerated? Well she is, so I basically had no choice but to show up.

************************************

An hour later...

"Ow!" I complained for the seventeenth time as Hazel plucked my eyebrows out. It was the first time I had ever done this and let me warn you it's not a pleasant experience. Apparently they resembled a werewolf's back since I had never bothered to trim them, Hazel's words not mine.

"Just be still geez. We're almost done!" she said exasperatedly.

"Easy for you to say, you're not the one enduring the pain. And you told me that like ten minutes ago" I huffed. She didn't say anything and just kept plucking away.

I was currently wearing too-short to be called jean shorts that had rips in them to top it off. As if I wasn't showing enough of my legs already, a black too tight sleeveless top and some cute sandals. And the only thing I approved of were the sandals. Hazel had also straightened my hair which made it look longer and darker.

"Ok we are done" she informed me.

"Thank God" I sighed in relief. I don't think my eyebrows could withstand another minute of that torture.

"Now it's time for the make-up!" she exclaimed excitedly.

"Whoa hold up there. I never agreed to make-up. There is no way in bloody hell that's happening" this was about the only thing I was absolutely sure of. I had my limits too.

"Oh come on! Just a little bit. You don't need much since you have like perfect skin you lucky whore" she said but I wasn't sure if I should take it as a compliment or not.

"I don't want to smother my face with make-up Haze" I whined.

"Come on I disinfected my brush and everything. I even bought you your own eyeliner cause I knew you wouldn't want to share mine" she pouted at me waving the black stick in front of my face.

"I appreciate your efforts but I'm not wearing it. I'm sorry." And as soon as I uttered those words she hit me with her super sweet puppy dog face that broke my heart every time. It reminded me of puss in boots from the Shrek movie.

"Ugh fine. But just the eyeliner" I gave in but she still wasn't satisfied.

"Just the eyeliner?!" she scoffed but compromised. She instructed me to look up and be still as she applied the black liquid.