Chapter 6: Sometimes It's Better To Be Oblivious

Chapter Six

Nirvana Evans

Current status of my life: Horrible.

I had woken up wearing a guy’s black T-shirt that had RAMONES written in white lettering across the it right above a picture of the band, and when I tried to recall the events of last night I had come to a blank void. My brain resembled a black hole that had sucked the memory of yesterday’s party into the dark recesses of my mind. Had I gotten drunk? Not likely since I didn’t have a hangover to prove it. But then how come I couldn’t remember anything after arriving at the party?

Should I consider the possibility that someone had slipped something in my drink and I had been drugged? But I quickly ruled out that option considering it was improbable that I had drank anything at all.

The only thing that set my mind slightly at ease was the fact that I had woken up in my own bed. I hadn’t woken up disoriented in a stranger’s room. But I couldn’t remember how I’d gotten here so we were back to square one. I decided that sitting up in bed dwelling on it wasn’t going to get me any place. I had to ask and investigate with mom. She would know if I had arrived home by myself or if Will had brought me home. Could the shirt be his?

I decided to text Hazel to see if she could help me clear things up.

R U UP? I sent her. I waited a bit for her reply that usually came instantaneously but after five minutes of no reply I figured she was still asleep.

After brushing my teeth and washing my face to help me wake up, I headed downstairs in search of my mother. The smell of eggs and bacon assaulted my nostrils as soon as I entered the kitchen. It was Sunday morning which meant both of my parents were home and dad was currently outside mowing the lawn. He followed this routine every other Sunday.

“Mom I need to talk with you” I informed her.

“Oh good! You’re up. Did you have a nice sleep?” she asked, flipping the eggs.

“Yeah” I answered vaguely. I was dying to ask her questions but that would lead to me rambling about not remembering a single bit of last night and that would make her worry. And considering she tended to overreact, I had to choose my words wisely. Lord, help me.

“Something on your mind?” she arched an eyebrow at me.

“Did Will bring me home last night?” I questioned, trying not to make a big deal of it.

“Yes. But a nice boy I’ve never seen before carried you to the door and up to your room. Apparently your friends were too drunk to drive so he offered” she explained making it sound like I had more than two friends. And suddenly things started to flash and click in my brain. Hazel was drunk, so was Will and there was also River. Maybe he had been the one to bring me home?

“He said someone puked on you and you passed out” she told me and in a rush everything started coming back to me. And as soon as I remembered it all I suddenly wished I hadn’t. Sometimes obliviousness is better than facing reality.

I was sitting alone when River joined me. We talked for a bit before Will showed up completely drunk. And that was basically when everything had turned to shit.

Will. Kissed. Me.

Out of the blue and completely unexpectedly, Will had stolen my first kiss in his incredibly drunken stupor. And to make things worse, he probably didn’t even remember anything. It could seem a bit weird to you that I was seventeen years old and had never been kissed but it was the truth. I had never had a boyfriend or any type of relationship with anyone. And one of the main reasons was because of my condition. I was a germ freak and the thought of sharing my saliva with someone else’s was purely disgusting.