Chapter 14: What Are You Doing Here?

Chapter Fourteen: What Are You doing here?

River Quinn

Dinner with Nirvana’s family last night had been…weird, for lack of a better word. Her parents were alright when they weren’t making the situation awkward, her cousin was a bit suspicious looking yet tolerable for the most part, but there was something off about that Tara chick. The tension between Nirvana and Tara was so thick I could slice it with a butter knife. I didn’t know what was up with those two but they certainly didn’t seem to be friends. And let’s not forget the cherry on top of the cake last night when Nirvana had thrown up, but even before that I knew she wasn’t feeling okay. She’d been acting kind of odd as soon as we stepped inside her house. I haven’t known her long enough to know exactly what was going on with Nirvana but I knew it wasn’t normal. I could feel like there was something she wasn’t telling me.

Summer was coming to an end but I’d have the whole school year to get to know her better. I felt like she was someone I could really become friends with and she was pretty hot too so that was an added bonus for me.

“River I’m off to work. I left some cash on the counter for you to buy your school supplies and the paint for your room. A friend from work is picking me up so you’ll have the car to get around- oh! And pick up some groceries too while you’re out please. I’ll be home late tonight” mom told me when she stuck her head in my room. That was nothing new though she’s been coming home late every night since we moved here.     

“Kay” I replied back glancing quickly her way then returning my gaze back to the book on my lap. I didn’t see her but I knew she rolled her eyes at me before she shut the door and left. I heard a car horn outside, the front door open and then the tires of the car as it sped away indicating that she was gone. I finished the chapter I was on and bookmarked it before I set it down on the nightstand. I was heading to the shower when I heard a grunt of frustration. It came from the window across from mine that happened to belong to Ana. I watched as she threw her pillows and sheets off the bed in irritation.

“Morning neighbor, everything alright?” I greeted with a smile. She turned to face me and I couldn’t help but notice how adorable her face looked when she was upset. Then I made the mistake of letting my gaze travel down her bare legs as I realized she was wearing nothing but a big T-shirt. Damn those where the sexiest pair of legs I’d ever laid eyes on! But I didn’t want her thinking I was a perv so with much effort on my part I managed to tear my gaze away from her legs and back to her distressed looking face.

“Yeah, I just lost something” she informed me crossing her arms over her chest.

“Well it’ll probably be where you least expect to find it and don’t worry it’ll turn up when you’re not looking for it. Happens to me all the time” I said with a shrug.

“I hope so” she bit her lip then asked “So what are you up to?”

“Right now I’m gonna take a shower and then I’m headed off to buy some paint for my room and stuff” I told her.

“Oh nice, do you know what color you’re getting?” she asked.

“Not really and I don’t know where the store is either but I guess I’ll find my way” I dropped the subtle hint hopping she didn’t have plans today.