Chapter 12: Aftermath

"Kyoya! I saw your car--"

You and Kyoya jump away from each other simultaneously like a natural reactant. You're both now standing on opposites sides of the couch as you try to process who was speaking and is now standing in Kyoya's bedroom with a befuddled expression.

"Is this what you do when no one is home!?" she exclaims. "Oh, you have never brought a girl--"

"Fuyumi," Kyoya growls, clearly upset. He walks over to the woman. "What are you doing here?"

"I left my jacket here this morning. Mother told me you stayed home, but your car wasn't in the garage and now I know why," she beams and continues to look at you. "Who is she?"

"Your jacket is in the downstairs closet. Get it and leave," Kyoya demands.

Fuyumi ignores him and hurries over to forcibly shake your hand. "Hi, I'm Fuyumi, Kyoya's older sister. What's your name?"

"(Y/N)," you answer stiffly as your arm is shook up and down until she lets go.

"Are you an Ootori family client? What's your surname?" she questions rapidly.

"Fuyumi," Kyoya says sternly, grabbing his sister and turning her toward the door, "I was just about to take her home, so let us have these last few minutes together."

Once Kyoya and Fuyumi get into the hallway where you're out of earshot, Fuyumi suppresses a squeal of excitement.

"Who is she, Kyoya? I promise I won't tell," she whispers.

"No--"

"Come on, you have never brought anything relatively close to a girl here, unless you count Tamaki, so it has to mean something. Or are you trying to get something from her? If you are messing with her emotions--"

"No, no, I'm not," Kyoya whispers vehemently. "I actually like her, okay? Just don't say anything to Mom and Dad."

"Only if you tell me about her. What's her family do? Why are you keeping this a secret?" Fuyumi asks with sparkles in her eyes.

Kyoya sighs in defeat. "She doesn't come from a wealthy family, but she has an academic and musical scholarship to Ouran. I've known her for about a year and a half. This is supposed to be our first date, and if it gets serious, then I'll tell Mom and Dad, but they can't know."

"Unwealthy?" Fuyumi mumbles. "You must really like her. Mom wouldn't mind much, but Dad might just kill you."

"Yeah, I know. I haven't concluded if she's worth losing everything over or if she will be, that's why you can't say anything," he states.

"Are you sure she's not using--"

"Fuyumi, trust me, she's not." Kyoya almost want to laugh at the memory. "I asked her out and she immediately rejected me, then proceeded on a tirade of how our family will think she is using me and more. It took her a couple of days to finally accept my offer, and her request was for something unextravagant and simple. I've known (Y/N) a long time and she's not using me."

"Sounds convincing. I already like her if she flat out rejected you." Fuyumi giggles and pats Kyoya's shoulder. "Okay, I'm gone. Good luck and I promise not to say anything."

Kyoya frowns and waits for his sister to disappear from the hallway before entering his bedroom to see you standing awkwardly in the same spot you were in when he left the room.

"Sorry, she shouldn't have been here," Kyoya genuinely apologizes.

"Is she going to tell your parents?" you question, holding in your fright and sadness at the thought of this whole endeavor already being over.

"No. Fuyumi isn't like my father. She doesn't discriminate," he assures you. "I'll take you home, come on."

You nod and slip on your shoes, then silently walk out of the room with Kyoya. You make it through the hallways, down the staircase, and out the front door, noticing now how late and dark it has gotten. Kyoya again opens the door for you, presenting his gentlemanly qualities, and gets in the car himself. He speeds off down the driveway and out the gate before you speak.

"Thanks for actually trying. It was really nice," you say.

"Of course. I have to take requests from people all the time, I would never ignore yours," he replies.

"If I didn't have to get home and study for that test tomorrow, I would suggest doing something else," you admit.

Kyoya grins. "I agree, but don't worry. I'm planning a small getaway for the club this Friday. My family is opening a new theme park called the Tropical Aqua Garden. The park doesn't officially open until next month, but the Host Club was given a special advance invitation."

"Is it like a water park crossed with a healing and relaxation facility?" you inquire.

"Yes, precisely."

"Haruhi is going to hate that," you warn. "I'm not even sure about it. We have studying and housework to do."

"It's fine. Tamaki and The Twins already worked that part out," Kyoya explains.

"Which means?"

"I'm not going to say, but I will tell you that it will be a good way to relax before final exams in a few months," he responds.

You shrug and ponder something interesting. This side of Kyoya--the calmness yet brutal honestly and fierceness is who he is and it's the side you've seen in him. The kind, fake smile and politeness that is presented at school is as far away from his personality as can be. That Kyoya wouldn't have gotten angry over speaking about his family and he wouldn't have freaked out on his sister.

Kyoya pulls onto your street and arrives in front of the apartment building. You don't make a move to get out, so neither does he.

"I'd like to continue this if you do, but let's do something you want to do," you say.

"I did want to watch the movie. It was a lot more fun to sit back and watch a film than going to a public area," Kyoya replies and turns more toward you in his seat. "I do want us to continue this as well."

You lay a hand on Kyoya's cheek and lean over to gently press your lips against the skin. You smile at the fluttering feeling in your stomach and quickly compose yourself to exit the car and start walking toward the apartment. Kyoya joins your side to walk you to the door with his hand resting on your middle back.

You climb the stairs and make it to the door with 203 on the front, then turn to Kyoya once again.

"I'll see you tomorrow," you say.

"See you," he responds, taking your hand and laying a kiss on the top in return for the one you left on his cheek before making his departure.

You walk to the railing and watch Kyoya get in his car and drive off into the night. You hear the door open behind you and spin around to see Haruhi with a knowing smirk.

"How was it?"

"I can't believe I'm saying this, but... I think I'm in love," you reply seriously.

"Wow, what?" Haruhi asks with disbelief written all over her face.

"I'm kidding," you say. "I knew you were spying through the peephole."

"You scared me," she admits, motioning for you to come inside. "How did it really go? Where did he take you?"

You stroll into the apartment and into the small living space where you sit down to explain the events, including getting interrupted by Kyoya's sister.

"Sounds like you had fun then," she observes.

"Yeah, I do like Kyoya, I'm just on edge still about his family. At least his sister is nice," you reply.

"You have to have confidence in yourself regardless of his family. Kyoya is smart and he's making this decision to try this with you, so you shouldn't worry so much."

You folds your arms on top of the table. "I know, you're right."

Your only hope now is that the future goes smoothly and everything will be okay eventually.