Chapter 6: Lady Manager

It's the end of another day at the Host Club where the theme of the traditional Japanese took an indoor turn. You're just about to pack up your belongings by the piano when something peculiar happens.

"Looks like the Host Club has a brand new guest," you hear The Twins chorus on the other side of the room.

You peer over your shoulder to spot a girl a couple of years younger than yourself slightly hiding behind a pillar staring at the hosts. Hikaru and Kaoru attempt to sweet talk her first, but are interrupted by Tamaki.

"Stop that. How many times do I have to tell you boys to be more courteous to our first-time guests?" Tamaki scolds politely before putting out a hand to the young lady. "Please, you don't have to be afraid, my princess. I welcome you to the Ouran Host Club."

Suddenly, the girl shrieks and pushes Tamaki away from her. Your lips twitch upwards and you fully turn around to witness the scene while leaning against the piano with your arms crossed.

"No! Don't touch me, you're phony!" she shouts.

"What do you mean?" Tamaki cries.

"Just what I said!" she exclaims. "You're phony. I find it hard to believe someone like you is the prince character of this Host Club!"

The girl goes on to incessantly insult Tamaki's persona and you're taken aback a little by it along with the rest of the club.

"I don't suppose you are--" Kyoya starts but is cut off by her.

"It's you! Kyoya!" she screams, running over and engulfing said man in a huge. "Oh, how I longed to meet you! My one and only Prince Charming."

What?

You choke down a laugh and can only wonder what the hell is going on in this girl's mind as Haruhi ushers her over to sit on the couch to explain herself. Kyoya and Haruhi take the spot across from her while the others stand behind the couch and you're left off to the side.

"Kyoya is my fiance."

Your mouth falls open a fraction at her words, but it doesn't compare to Tamaki's sulking in the corner and the others' wide and horrified expression.

Wait, wait, you stop yourself and close your mouth to think this through. She said she waited to meet him and Kyoya was confused at seeing her at all. It doesn't make sense if she is his fiance, and it's only her word. Kyoya hasn't confirmed nor denied, but there's no way he would seem perplexed at her words, so it's safe to say this girl is delusional.

You sigh and grin at your revelation, then walk over to comfort Tamaki as the hosts try to figure it out in their own way.

"Your fiance?" Hikaru says incredulously.

"Kyoya?" Kaoru adds.

"Of course!" the girl says jovially. "My name is Renge Houshakuji and I'm transferring into Ouran Academy's First Year, Class A tomorrow."

"Tamaki," you say, bending down to lay a hand on his upper back. "It's okay, really."

"No, it's not," Tamaki mutters sadly. "Why didn't he tell me?"

"Ours is a story of love at first sight!" Renge gushes. "I couldn't resist the way you were admiring those flowers in the courtyard when you thought no one else was looking and how sweet it was when you reached out to that poor, injured kitten."

"She serious?" The Twins ask in disbelief.

You glance over to see Kyoya already looking at you and Tamaki. You flash him a smirk because you know he thought you would fall for whatever is going on, but you're clearly not effected at all.

"Could you have the wrong person?" Haruhi questions.

"Maybe the wrong species?" you snidely remark.

"No way! I could recognize my love anywhere!" Renge defends.

"He's a gentle man who's kind to everyone, but doesn't ask for anything in return! He likes solitude but in fact sometimes he gets lonely. He looks like the star of the popular dating sim, Uki-Doki Memorial."

At this point, your friends are too busy freaking out to understand the ending of what Renge just said, but you on the other hand have worked it out. After making Tamaki stand up, you saunter over to the couch and lean on the back of it next to Kyoya's head.

"Otaku!" everyone finally shouts in realization and gather back around the couch.

"I get it now--"

You cut Kyoya off. "You're in love with that character and projecting that love onto Kyoya and somehow deluded yourself into thinking that you two are engaged. That character probably wears glasses as well."

"So... she made it up? You're not really her fiance?" Tamaki asks Kyoya.

"No, I never remember asking for her hand in marriage. Besides, this is the first time I've ever met the woman," Kyoya answers.

"If you guys were a lot more observant, you would have figured that out," you say.

The hosts sigh in exasperation and are now annoyed that the truth wasn't revealed sooner. You shrug and listen in to whatever Renge is beginning to say now as she plops down beside Kyoya on the opposite side of where you are.

"According to my research, you're in charge of managing the club. Is that true, Kyoya?" Renge inquires in awe.

"Kyoya is the esteemed director," you say.

"You!" Renge suddenly bellows and stands up with a finger pointed at you. "You're too close to my Kyoya! Pretty girls aren't allowed near him!"

You stand up straight with your hands in the air, ignoring the insanely weird feeling in your chest.

"Okay, no need to yell," you reply, walking back over to the piano far away from the shenanigans before the others can say anything.

"Anyway! You're the club's director, that's perfect!" Renge says, getting back to the topic while invading Kyoya's personal space. "I've always wanted to wear a sandwich board to advertise a business!"

"We don't advertise. We're just a host club," Hikaru and Kaoru deadpan.

"I've made up my mind. From now on, I'm going to be the manager of this host club," she states.

You stifle your chuckles and sit at the piano bench backwards to lean against the covered keys as you watch this whole little scene play out. You're not sure why you find this so funny when this girl is beyond annoying, but something just clicks inside at seeing her be all over Kyoya and taking control that your body releases your emotions as laughter.

"Miss Houshakuji is the only daughter of a very important Ootori family client, so please be polite and try not to offend her," Kyoya announces.

It makes so much sense now.

"I'll be back tomorrow with some plans!" Renge says and quickly exits the club room.

You stay in your spot as your friends slowly move to sit around in a circle to the discuss the events.

"(Y/N), get over here," Tamaki says.

"But I can't get close to Kyoya, according to his fiance," you joke, standing and walking over to sit across from Kyoya on the couch.

"Maybe having a female manager is a good thing. She can help you girls get in touch with your proper feminine sides," Tamaki comments.

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" you and Haruhi ask in unison.

"Such foul language for two ladies," Tamaki chides.

You get to your feet and gesture for Haruhi to as well. "We don't care what you decide, we're going home. We'll see you tomorrow."

You both grab your bags and leave them to deal with the Renge situation. You're still trying to process why your emotions were in so much disarray, but if you had to guess on a psychological level, you would have to say you might have been jealous for a reason you're not entirely sure of.