8

A few months have passed. After Antonio got arrested I got to be free again. When my class came back they all asked about the day Antonio got arrested. I couldn't say much. The past few weeks I went to school as usual. Jason doesn't have to bring me and pick me up anymore. I went back to my own house and Sophie and Sarah have been coming around. Jason will be with me for the vacation because it's almost Christmas. Sarah has been much kinder since Antonio left. I haven't seen any ghosts around since that day. So I thought everything was over...

'Jason!' I call for Jason and he walks out of the kitchen. 'What is it?' He asks. 'David is coming back.' I say. I'm really excited. I've missed him so much. 'Great! When?' Jason asks. 'Tomorrow. He has vacation too.' I say. 'We should pick him up from the airport.' Jason says and walks back to the kitchen. 'Yes, we should bring a welcome back present too.' I say and smile brightly. 'Breakfast is done!' Jason says and puts a plate on the table. I stand up and take a seat at the table. 'It looks delicious.' I say. We both start to eat. I close my eyes. 'It tastes great.' I say and smile. Jason smiles back.
My phone rings. I pick up. 'Hello?' I ask. 'Hello Marah, how are you doing? I've missed you, you know.' I know this voice. This is... This is... I clear my throat. 'Why are you calling me out of nowhere?' I ask. 'Well I have been thinking about you and I can make phone calls from now on.' He says. 'Do you have anything more to say?' I ask. 'Oh well. I'll be coming back for you.' I grin. 'Like you would ever get out of there.' I say. 'Wait, and see.' He says and I hang up. 'Who was it?' Jason asks. I look at him. 'It was Antonio.' I say. Jason puts down his cutlery. 'What did he say?' He asks. 'He said he'll be coming back for me.' I say and stare at my plate. I lost my appetite. 'Don't worry, he won't be able to escape. He's put in the best prison of the country.' Jason says and lays his hand on mine. I smile at him.
I take a sip of my soup. 'It's almost Christmas.' I say. 'Do you want to decorate the Christmas tree?' Jason asks. 'Yes, but let's go do some shopping first.' I say. Jason nods and eats his rice.
I stand up and put my plate in the dishwasher. Jason puts his boil in the dishwasher and puts on his coat. 'Let's walk today.' I say and smile gently.
Jason holds my hand and together we walk through the city. There are lights and people everywhere. 'It looks beautiful!' I say and look around. Jason laughs. 'What is so funny?' I ask. 'You're looking like a little girl who's seeing this for the first time.' He says. I frown. 'It's cute.' He says and I become red. I turn around.
'Let's look in here.' I say to change the topic. We walk into a Christmas shop. We look around for nice decoration. I find some perfect decoration.
'Let's find a Christmas tree.' Jason says when we walk on the street again. I nod. 'But let's go to drink something first.' I say and we walk to a teashop. I order a mug of hot chocolate and Jason orders the same. 'I love Christmas.' I say with a smile. 'Me too.' Jason says; the waitress serves us our drinks. I take a sip and Jason laughs. 'Your whole face is covered with cream.' He says and bows over the table. He wipes the cream away with his thumb. I start to blush and look away. I take a sip of my drink again. Jason smiles and drinks his hot chocolate. 'Doesn't it feel so good not to have to worry about anything?' I asks. Jason looks at me. 'Yeah, it's nice to know that you are safe now.' He says and smiles gently at me. I look down. 'But I don't think this is it.' I whisper to myself. 'Did you say something?' Jason asks. I shake my head. 'No, you must've been hearing someone else.' I say. I can't let him worry again. I know what will happen. And I don't want to ruin it right now.
When we finish drinking we walk towards a man who sells trees. 'Welcome, please find a nice tree.' He says and we look around. We find the perfect tree after five minutes of searching. We pay for it and then go towards home.
Jason carries the tree and I carry the decoration. 'Do you need any help?' I ask him. 'No, it's fine. I'm strong.' He says and grins. I laugh. 'That's true. But you did lose to Antonio.' I say. 'He had experience in it. I just gave everything I could.' Jason says and frowns. I laugh.
We arrive at my house and Jason puts down the tree. 'Let's begin with decorating.' I say and open the box with decoration. I put the balls in the tree and Jason puts in the lights. I put the star on the top and take a step back. 'It looks good.' I say and smile. Jason puts the lights in the tree on. 'It's beautiful.' I say and Jason puts an arm around me. 'It is.' He says and I lay my head on his shoulder.
'Let's put the lights on the roof.' I say and walk to the shack to get the ladder. I walk in front of the house and get up the ladder. 'Be careful.' Jason says. I try to put up the lights but it's a bit too high. I stand on my toes but I lose my balance. I fall and make myself ready for a smack on the ground. I close my eyes tight. When I fall it doesn't feel like the ground. I open my eyes. 'Jason!' Jason lays down under me. He wanted to save me. 'Jason! Jason!' He doesn't reply. I feel tears running in my eyes. I take my phone out and call for an ambulance. I still try to wake him up but he doesn't reply.

We arrive at the hospital. The doctors take him to the operation room. I wait for two hours and finally the doctors are done. I rush towards them. 'How is he?' I ask. 'He had a smack on the back of his head and he broke his leg. The smack wasn't fatal so with a few days he can return home.' He says. 'Thank you, doctor.' I say and the doctor leaves.
I walk into the ward. I see Jason laying in a bed. I sit down at his bed. He looks so white, almost like dead. I look down. 'It's all my fault.' I say. 'If I didn't go up there you wouldn't be laying here now.' I say and bite my lip. I see his eyelids move. I widen my eyes. Jason opens his eyes. He looks at me. 'Who are you?' I'm shocked. Does he really not remember me anymore? A tear escapes my eye. 'Marah, I'm joking.' He says. I burst into tears. 'Hey, Marah. I'm fine.' He holds my hand. 'I was so worried.' I say. 'You shouldn't protect me if you hurt yourself.' I say and hold my hands in front of my face. Jason gets up and embraces me. 'I'm sorry, Marah.' He says. 'But if you're safe and happy, I'd do anything to keep it like that.' I gasp. 'But I can't be happy if you're not here.' I say. 'Hey, don't worry. I won't leave you.' He kisses my forehead and pokes my nose. He wipes away my tears. 'Now, let's stop crying. I'll recover soon so don't worry.' He smiles at me. I look at him. His gentle smile. I'm so happy it's still here.
I let go of him and smile. He strokes my cheek. I feel a cold presence in the room. I turn my head. I'm getting goosebumps. 'What's wrong?' Jason asks. 'I feel a presence in here.' I say and look around the room. 'But I don't see anything.' I sigh. 'It must be my imagination.' I say. Jason looks at my hands. 'Marah, are you bleeding?' I look at him confused and look at my hands. They are covered in blood. I widen my eyes. I look around in the room and blood slides down the walls. I look at Jason again but he disappeared. 'Jason!' I scream his name but no answer. "Be prepared... It's not over yet... It will come back... Save us...'' I keep hearing voices. What does this mean? What will be coming back? What is not over yet? What is this?!
I open my eyes and get up. A nightmare? They're coming back again. I hold my head and look at the bed. Jason is sleeping. I stand up and walk out of the room quietly so Jason doesn't wake up. I get some coffee and I walk out of the hospital to get some fresh air. I look at the sky. It's full of stars. It's looks pretty. I hold my cup of coffee tight to warm up a bit. I sit down on a bench. A cold winter breeze waves through my hair.
I get a huge jolt of pain through my head. I groan and hold my hands on my head. I fall on my knees. I open my eyes and look around me. What is this? This isn't the hospital. Where am I? I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn my head. Mom? Dad? I stand up and walk into their arms. I start to cry. 'Mom. Dad. Why?' I say but as I do they let go of me. They look shocked. They turn around and run away. 'Mom! Dad!' I scream for them but they don't look back. I turn around as a shadow bows over me. I look up. It's the thing that killed my father. I take a few steps backwards. It's just looking at me. Then he growls and tries to catch me. Does this thing want to kill me?! I turn around and run away. What is this? I don't come forwards.
I open my eyes and gasp. I cough. I'm sitting on the bench again. A dream again? But I was wide awake. So how? I get up and walk inside the hospital. I throw away the coffee and when I look up Jason stands there. I widen my eyes in surprise. I walk towards him. 'What are you doing out of bed?' I ask. 'I woke up and you were gone.' He says. 'I thought something had happened.' I lend him my shoulder. 'I just went to take some fresh air. You're worrying too much.' I say and kiss his cheek. 'Now, let's go back. You need to rest.' I take him back to his room. He lays down and I put the blanket around him. I kiss his forehead and he closes his eyes. I hold his hand and lay my head down on the bed. I close my eyes. I tear flows over my face when I slowly fall asleep.
The next morning I go to the airport to pick up David. 'Marah!' David waves at me. 'David!' He runs towards me and hugs me. 'I've missed you so much.' He says. 'I missed you too.' I say. 'I thought Jason would come too.' David says. 'Ah that. Well I fell from a ladder yesterday and he wanted to save me but instead he broke his arm so he lays in the hospital.' I say. 'Is he okay?' David asks worried. 'Yeah, he is fine.' I say. 'Let's go.' Together we walk to a cab. David puts his suitcase in the back of the car and then gets in. 'How long will you stay?' I ask. 'I haven't decided yet.' David answers. 'I hope you won't leave soon.' I say and smile.
We arrive at the hospital. We walk into the ward. Jason is listening to music. 'Hey, dude.' David says and Jason looks up. 'Hey, David. Welcome back.' He says. Jason turns off the music. 'Marah told me what happened.' David says. 'Yeah, it's nothing. I'll be fine in a few weeks.' Jason says. 'That's good then.' David says. I walk into the room with the present. 'David, this is for you from us.' I say and give it to David. He opens it and widens his eyes. It's a picture of him, Jason and me. 'This is great.' David says. 'Thanks guys.' He gives us a hug. 'So you can think of us when you go back.' I say and smile. 'I'll definitely put is on my wall.' David says and smiles.
My phone rings. 'Lisa? What's up?' I ask. "Marah, put on the TV and watch the news. Something big is going on!'' Lisa says. I just want to ask what's going on but she hangs up the phone.
I pick up the remote controller and put on the TV. "Yesterday evening there was a total panic in New York. A huge monster wandered through the city. It looked like he was searching for something. The monster is unknown creature. He destroyed many buildings. There are no victims but forty wounded. There is no further information.'' My mouth falls open. 'Marah?' David touches my shoulder. 'It is the thing.' Jason says. 'The thing that murdered her father.' I bite my lip. 'It's probably looking for me.' I say. 'It wants to kill me.'