5

I stare at the person next to me. 'Who are you?' I ask again. He looks at me shocked. 'Marah, you don't recognize me?' He asks. I shake my head. 'I'm Jason, your friend for over twelve years.' 'Jason? That's a nice name.' I say. Jason swallows. 'What about the ghosts?' He asks. 'What are you talking about?' I ask confused. 'Doctor!' The doctor walks into the room. 'She doesn't remember anything.' Jason says and the doctor looks at me. 'What's your name, young lady?' He asks. I shrug my shoulders. 'I don't know, sir.' I say. The doctor looks at Jason. 'We need to do a brain test. It might be amnesia.' The doctor calls some nurses and they take my bed out of the room. They put me under a brain scan. An hour later the test in done and they put me back into the room. The doctor takes Jason outside of the room to talk to him. 'Her brain is damaged because of the blow she had. She doesn't remember anything and it might be that she'll get them back. But it'll take a lot of hard work and it might affect her health.' The doctor explains. 'Isn't there any other way to regain her memory?' Jason asks worried. 'You can show her things or do things with her so she might remember them. We'll just have to wait now if she can handle it.' Jason nods. 'Thank you, doctor.' The doctor walks away and Jason walks into the room. I look up. 'So what are the results?' I ask. 'You have amnesia.' Jason says as he sits down in the chair. 'But how will I regain my memories?' I'm so confused. Is all that I ever knew gone? 'I need to show you something.' Jason says and smiles gently. I'm sitting in a wheelchair and Jason pushes me. We're walking through the park. Jason stops suddenly. 'Do you remember this? You fell on the ground because of Chiko.' I look at him questioningly. 'Chiko?' I ask. 'She is your dog.' He says. 'Or do you remember the time it started raining when we were little? We took shelter under the slide and waited for so long till it went over. You fell asleep.' I laugh. 'I must've been a weird child. Falling asleep in places like that.' Jason laughs. 'You were a bit odd but much things had happened.' I look at the sky. 'How did we meet?' I ask him. Jason stays quiet for a moment. 'You were walking on the streets alone. You were crying.' I look up. 'Why was I crying?' Jason swallows. 'You ran away from home.' I'm still confused. 'But why?' Jason ignores my question and walks on. Why doesn't he just answer? Suddenly my head aches. I groan because of the pain. I get a flashback of a woman hanging at a rope. 'Are you okay?' Jason asks and kneels in front of me. 'Your nose is bleeding.' He says and takes out a handkerchief. He gives it to me and I hold my nose. I hold my eyes tight every time I blink. 'We need to go back.' Jason turns around the wheelchair and rolls me back to the hospital.

'I already said it'd affect her health.' The doctor says as we arrive. 'Get her back to her room.' He says to the nurse. The nurse takes me back to my room and takes care of me. 'If you try it so soon like this the pain will get only worse. The chance is that she'll get nosebleeds every time she remembers something. She'll lose a lot of blood like that and it can be dangerous. You should wait with regaining her memory.' The doctor pats Jason's shoulder and leaves. Jason sighs and sits down on a bench. He's thinking of what he should do. I turn my head to Jason when he walks in. 'I'm going home now. You should get some rest.' 'Thank you for today.' I say and smile gently. It's a smile that doesn't know the person standing in front of me. Jason puts on his jacket and leaves.

I lay my head down and stare at the ceiling. I'm still confused. Is he really just a friend? I turn on my side and close my eyes. I'll just try to sleep.

Jason walks out of the hospital and looks up. 'What are you doing here?' He asks when he sees Antonio. 'I just came to give a visit to the young lady.' Jason frowns. 'You are not allowed to come inside after what you've done.' Antonio grins. 'I've no idea what you're talking about.' He says. 'You know exactly what I'm talking about, Antonio!' Jason clenches his fists. 'You are not welcome here.' Antonio glances at Jason. 'It's a hospital. I don't need your permission to go inside.' Jason tries to calm down. 'I'll definitely lock you up.' He says. Antonio grins again. 'How do you want to do that? You don't even have evidence.' He turns around. 'Well, I wish you good luck.' He walks away laughing dirty. Jason looks down and runs back into the hospital. I'm surprised when he runs inside. I stare at him. He rushes towards me and puts his arms around me. 'Hey, what's wrong?' I ask. 'I'm sorry.' He says quietly. 'I'm sorry I couldn't protect you.' I widen my eyes and I get a lump in my throat. I put my arms around him. 'It's alright, I'll do my best to remember everything.' I say and Jason lets go of his embrace. He looks at me and I smile gently. 'I'll work hard.' I say. Jason puts is hands on my cheeks and kisses my forehead. 'I know you will.' He says and embraces me again. He feels like a brother.