Chapter 20: A New Guest

Chihiro

So it was settled. They would meet on the off days. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. Chihiro was happy this was in place because as much as she loved Haku, she loved sleep just as much, if not more. And she was literally running on a couple hours of sleep from probably 3 days ago. That’s not exactly good for her. She said goodbye to Haku and walked back to her house.

She avoided everyone at school. She put her headphones in and ignored pretty much everyone. People stared at her, people glanced at her, and people avoided eye contact with her. Where she was once invisible, she was now all anyone could see and she hated it. She didn’t respond to her teachers, more of her grades started to slip. It wasn’t good at home. Her parents thought something was wrong with her. Well of course there was, but she couldn’t tell them because they couldn’t even remember what happened that day.

Haku

Business was booming!  Haku could not remember when the bathhouse had ever been this busy. Haku no more than finished that monthly count when the ferry arrived and the spirits entered the large red building.

Every bath was full. Haku had never seen the house this busy.

“Lin!? Where is Lin?” Haku asked as he walked briskly through the long wood floor halls. He heard toads yell back where she was and they spread the word to her that the master was looking for her.

“Lin I need you to…” Haku stopped his words as he walked into a room where Lin and a thin spirit that glowed a soft pink stood.  Haku lowered his head, “sorry to intrude but I need your host for but a moment.”

The light pink spirit smiled and her eyes wide glowed white and her nodded her head as Lin stepped over to Haku.

“What Haku?” Lin asked sharply but a twinge of worry in her voice.

“I wanted to ask you if you know why we are so busy?  I was counting numbers and nothing adds up. I can’t figure out why this month has been so different compared to last?”

“Haku.. really? Geesh…. You and Chihiro are both dopes. It’s because of her!” Lin whispered loudly as she pointed back to where her guest stood waiting. “She is a Wind Spirit. There hasn’t been one seen here in the spirit town in over 20,000 years. They are very shy and quiet. So everyone wanted to get a glimpse of her to see that the rumors where real.”

“I… had no idea…” Haku stated dully.

“You probably didn’t you dope! You have been so busy with Chihiro,” Lin winked, “Which isn’t a bad thing but you need to pay more attention.” She hit him lightly on the head.

Haku laughed quietly, “I guess I should let you get back to her. Sorry to have bothered you, thank you for your information.” His voice was now very business-like and he turned to the Wind Spirit and bowed quickly and then turned on his heels and walked away.

Lin returned to the Wind Spirit and said, “If you will please follow me this way I will lead you to your room then to your bath.”

A high pitch voice then rang from the small, thin body, “Who was that man?”

Lin’s eyes grew wide and she turned to the Wind Spirit with her mouth hanging open.