Chapter 4: A Possession and A Long Wait

Chihiro

Explaining to her parents why she was crashed out in her room, her cheeks stained red and her eyes blood shot was quite a hard thing. Chihiro told them that she wasn’t feeling good so she came home from school early. Her eyes were blood shot from being tired and her cheeks were red from rubbing them. They thankfully bought it, but she knew she couldn’t lie to them much longer. Ever since we had returned she never thought of them the same. Suddenly thinking every now and then about their gross pig faces, snorting as they ate the spirit food. It was like a living nightmare that she never wanted to experience ever again.

             All of a sudden a huge block of emotion hit her in the gut. She crumpled down to the ground, holding her stomach. It wasn’t anything she had ever felt before. Her initial thought: Haku. There was like a bond between them. Yes, she had been left emotionless and a shriveled up mess, but if something ever happened to Haku, she would be the first to tell you. There was something about this pain though. It wasn’t bad.

             All of sudden something over-took her and she felt possessed. Her body was bent back, but she was stiff and couldn’t move. Her vision went black, but she could hear something. A faint whisper. It sounded like wind blowing. Then it got louder and then she heard. And that’s what made her snap. The voice echoed in her brain like a reminder. “Chihiro, I’m coming for you. I’m coming to save you! Wait for me!!” And that’s when things went back to normal. Her vision came back, her body moveable now. Collapsed on the ground, her heart beat faster than a race horses after winning a National title. And she just laid there and listened to the sound of Haku’s voice ring in her ears.

Haku

“I know it was around here.” Haku, still in his true dragon form, flew swiftly around the booths and restaurants. Weaving in and out of spirits and ducking in and out of shops. “Where is that stair case?” After so many years his memory had failed in this area. He remembered a stair case and running down it, hand in hand, with Chihiro before they went to the edge of the grass. The  place they had to say goodbye.

Haku tensed up at the thought. He hated that memory. He told her to not look back until she was out of the tunnel. Oh how he wished he wouldn’t have told her to not look. If she would have looked she could have stayed. She would have had to. True, she was only ten and didn’t want to leave her parents but now… Haku was sure she would could to stay if he could find her again.

Haku flew up out of the mass of people, tried of moving around the other spirits, and looked around for the stairs. If he went down those stairs the water should change to grass and he would be able to see the tunnel that hides the gate. His eyes paned over the landscape and he saw it! Swooping to the ground he landed at the top of the steep stairs. He raised his head and looked at the large tree that over looked the stairs. He started down them. Walking slowly on his dragon feet he wasn’t quite used to and he made it to the bottom. Before his last foot had even touched the ground he was taking off in flight toward the station that was now just beyond a field of grass and white flowers.

Four seconds is all it took for Haku to make his way to the entrance. He stood at the opening staring, unsure if he should enter. What would happen if he did? Could he even make it through the building?

Haku stood there looking straight forward for several minutes decided what to do. He let himself change back to his human form, the new scales falling to his feet and then disappearing within seconds. He timidly took a step into the building and then stopped short and grabbed his stomach.

His breathing hitched and he thought he might throw up. “Chih… Chihiro?” he questioned the pain. He forced himself, through the pain, out of the building and to sit down. Once he sat down he talked into the dark tunnel ahead of him, “Chihiro, I’m at the tunnel. Come and find me. I’m waiting on the other side. I’ve always been waiting.”