Mystery

I can't believe what I saw. There, in the picture, was a man who looks a lot like Chase. He's Chase's father! Oh. My. Gosh. I thought his father was dead? Why does Jake have a picture of him? I couldn't be wrong. It's really his father. They have the same features. Besides, Chase has a picture of him on top of his bedside table. I always see it whenever I hang out in his room. But if his dad was alive, why did his mom say he's dead? Why didn't his dad ever show himself up to Chase? What happened to him? Most importantly, why does Jake own a picture of him? I need to get answers.

"Sam!"

I jumped a little at the sound of Jake's voice. I was too caught up in the mystery that I didn't notice him standing right behind me.

"Uh, hey Jake."

I greeted as I discreetly glanced at the picture.

"So, let's plan the date now?"

I nodded. I wanted so badly to ask him about the picture. But something was stopping me. I had a feeling that whatever the story is behind that picture is bad. Bad enough to make Chase's mom keep it from him. I also had a feeling that both Jake and Chase were not aware of it. Chase always thought that his dad's dead. Come to think of it, that's only what his mom said. There were no details or anything. He just died of car accident. Period. His mom becomes evasive when he asks about his dad. Chase and I thought it was just because she was traumatized by his death and thinking of her husband hurts her. So Chase rarely talks about it. His mom said that his dad's body was cremated. And she scattered the ashes to the ocean. The whole mystery gave me a headache. But the mystery had to wait. I couldn't tell anything to Chase or Jake yet until I found out the truth.

"We can talk in my room so we can have privacy. Come on." he gestured me to follow him.

We walked upstairs and got in his room.

It was pretty huge. It was a guy's typical room. Posters of rock bands on the wall, a single bed with plain white sheets, an alarm clock on top of a bedside table and a study table. But it was clean. Everything was organized. Impressive since Chase's room looks like a garbage truck compared to Jake's room.

I sat on the bed. Jake sat on the seat of his study table, facing me.

"So...what's the plan?"

"Amber is your typical girl. Wanting a very romantic date with a prince charming kind of guy."

"So?"

"The date itself should sweep her off her feet."

"So how will we do that?"

"I need to find a place that looks very romantic. Like any girl who would go there will think that she's a princess. The atmosphere should be...serene."

"So you want me to think of a place that fits that description?"

"That's easy. Ever heard of Rose Garden?" (A/N I just made up that place. But it there's really a place like that, my bad.)

"No."

"Only few people know that place. It's like a place for couples. It's really like a garden or something. I'll bring you there tomorrow."

"Good. As for the music, I don't want some live violins, I mean, it's just too cliché. But I have no idea what to do with the music."

"Let's skip it. Let's just think about it later."

"The food...hm, let's have the typical food that couples eat during dinner dates."

"Which is?"

"I have no idea. I've never been on a date."

"What?! Are you freaking serious? You've never been on one?!?" he asked, his eyes widening.

"Nope."

"Don't tell me no one ever asked you out."

"How did you guess?"

He looked shock before he grinned.

"What?"

"No one ever asked you out because of the threats."

"Threats?" I asked, confused.

"Yup. On my first day in school, I heard some guys in the locker room talking about how hot you are but they can't ask you out because Chase has been threatening to rip their heads off if they even think about asking you out."

My eyes widened in shock. So that's why no one ever asked me out? Because of Chase?

"By the look on your face, I think you're not aware of the threats, huh?"

I shook my head.

"Stupid Chase."

"If I asked you out, would you say yes?" Jake asked suddenly.

"Uh...if Chase allowed me." I blushed.

"Why do you even need his permission? He's not your boyfriend."

I thought about it. He's right. Why did I even need Chase's permission in everything?

There was a loud knock, breaking the awkwardness between me and Jake.

"Come in." Jake shouted.

We looked as Lizzie pushed the door open with her tiny hands.

She looked from me to Jake and smiled.

"So are we gonna play with my barbies now?"

Jake looked at ne apologetically.

"Hey baby girl, Sam and I have to talk about something important first."

"No, Jake. It's okay. I mean, we have everything fixed. Well, about the part where he would ask her to be his girlfriend," I cringed "I had that part already planned."

"So does that mean we can play with my barbies now?" Lizzie asked hopefully, tugging Jake's pants.

"Sure sweetie." I smiled as she held my hand in her tiny hand and held Jake's on her other.