Lainey - The Real Gold

The sun streams into our home the next morning. Cory and I wake up and we fall into each other's arms again. We rest a little while longer, enjoying being husband and wife. I smile thinking of the many mornings I will have waking up next to Cory. It seems so unreal that we found each other again after the accident tore us apart.

Eventually, I tear myself from Cory's embrace and run a bath. We soak for a long time, enjoying the quiet and our new bond we have forged as husband and wife.

"Do you find it funny that the Olympics brought us together the first time we met and it brought us back together again?" I ask, while Cory soaps up my back.

"Well, I'd say we were the best win of the Olympics." He kisses my neck as the water washes the soap off my skin.

"Do you think Ashton would have liked me?" I ask, wanting to know more about my brother-in-law.

"He probably would have fought me for you."

I burst out laughing. "I can see that. You two were always competing."

"And you probably would have fallen in love with him instead of me. The girls always liked him better."

"I think we would have been great friends."

"I think so too."

"Why don't we get dressed and go say hi to him. I want to tell him all about the wedding," I say, feeling excited about being part of Cory's family.

"How are we going to say hi to him?"

"We'll go to the mountain."

Cory puts his arms around me and pulls me to him. I feel the heat from his skin warming my back.

"Hey, I've been meaning to thank you for the plaque you made for him," Cory whispers.

"How did you know it was from me?"

"I just knew."

Cory and I sit and think about the brother and best friend we wished were here.

We finally leave the coziness of our shared bath and we get dressed. "So husband, what would you like for breakfast?"

Cory pulls a T-shirt over his head, covering up his athletic body that I can't seem to get enough of. "I know exactly what I'd like."

"Oh yeah, what's that?"

"Chocolate Chip Pancakes. And I want them the rest of my life, okay?"

"You'll get sick of them."

"Never."

And he draws me in close to him and we both know that our love is the real gold medal in our lives.

THE END

NOTE TO MY READERS: Thank you so much for making the journey of writing Olympic Conquest the most positive and inspiring experience a new novelist could have. Your comments and support were felt and truly, truly appreciated. Much love to everyone and who knows, maybe Cory and Lainey will make a comeback some day?! xoxo