Lainey - Being Bold

The ice rink is packed with skaters and coaches as we all run through our routines, fine-tuning our strengths and practicing our weaknesses. My strength is in jumping. I love the thrill of flying through the air as high as I can go and executing as many revolutions as possible.

In my spare time, I’m working on a quad toe loop – I’m two-footing the landing so I’m not ready to use it in competition– but I’m landing the triple axel and I really want to do it instead of the double at the start of my programs.

I have one of the hardest free skate programs in the competition. I am the only one doing two triple-triple combinations. And if I successfully land the triple axel, I will be really hard to beat. The problem is if I don’t land it, I could be mentally rattled at the start of my programs or worse injure myself. It’s hard to shake off a bad jump right at the start, but a clean jump could make all the difference. I’m willing to take that chance.

Plus, I know that I struggle more with presentation. I’ve taken ballet, tap and jazz for years – I even started taking hip-hop to infuse more contemporary dance into my program. I’m definitely improving but I know my strength really lies in my jumping – that’s why the triple axel is so important to me.

My competitors and I are trying to ignore each other as we perform our routines. We avoid eye contact and rely on our other senses to get out of each other’s way. It’s inevitable to start comparing ourselves and we can’t afford any distractions.

We’re also trying to ignore the fact that the judges are here watching us. Even though it’s practice, we know the judges are evaluating our skills and predetermining the results of our programs.

Some people think it’s unfair for them to judge us during practice. It is what it is so I make sure to give it my all during any ice time. I actually like the added protection of showing a judge I can land a jump during practice in the event I bobble it in competition. It may not help but it certainly can’t hurt.

“Sharon, I’d really like to do a triple axel in my programs. I’ve been landing them consistently. Can I show you?” I ask her. My mom stands close by listening.

“Lainey, we’ve been through this. You already have the toughest program technically. You don’t need to do the triple axel and I’m worried what it will do to your confidence if you don’t land it. You should focus on your presentation. A strong presentation is just as important.”

“I know, but I’m landing the triple axel consistently. If I can do it, why shouldn’t we try? It feels wrong not to try.”

“We’ve already turned in your program to the judges.”

“We can still swap it out, right?”

“Lainey, you need to concentrate on your current program. You’re at the Olympics. A last minute change could be devastating to your concentration.”

My mom chimes in, “I agree with Sharon, Lainey. You don’t need this distraction right now.”

“I don’t agree with either of you. I think we’re playing it safe.” I skate off. I feel my anger brewing so I skate faster. And faster. I see Sharon and my mom watching me intently. I’m skating so fast that others are noticing. The judges lean in to watch me as well.

And that’s when I do it. I jump up into a triple axel and I land it perfectly. At least the judges know I can do it. My competitors know now too. If I won’t be able to do it in competition, at least I have shown I can do it.

I skate up to Sharon and my mom. “There’s no reason, I shouldn’t be doing that in competition.”

Sharon looks me in the eye. “We both know it takes much more than just landing one difficult jump to win.”

“You’re just jealous because you never made it to the Olympics.”

“Lainey! That’s a horrible thing to say. Apologize to Sharon right now,” my mother says.

“I’m sorry Sharon. I’m very frustrated that we aren’t being bold. I know you want me to move on but I feel really strongly about doing the triple axel.”

“Let’s work on other aspects of your routines. Let me see your spins – layback then sit spin – and run through your step sequence. I want to make sure you’re turning your head and shoulders correctly and don’t forget to smile. We want the crowd to be drawn in by your beautiful smile.”

I enter the pack of skaters and practice my spins. I try to clear my head and focus on my footwork. I look out at the stands and wish Cory were there cheering me on. This morning seems like a million years ago. I wonder if his day is going any better than mine?