Cory - Our Future

I turn to John, "Well it looks like you finally got to jump out of a helicopter – with my fiancée."

"Actually, this is our second time – we did a practice run last week. It was her idea – I swear."

"I wonder where she got the idea?" I point out.

"She wanted to do a grand gesture and I may have mentioned I was going to propose to Krissy at the top of the mountain."

"By jumping out of a helicopter, oh I remember."

"Sorry dude."

"I love her but she's going to give me a heart attack," I admit.

"Welcome to marriage."

"I'm ready, I think ..."

"You've got this."

"Yes, I do," I tell myself and then turn to Lainey and hold out my hand. "You ready to hitch yourself to my wagon?" I wink to everyone.

"Actually, you ready to hitch yourself to mine?"

"I've been ready!" I take her hand in mine, never wanting to let go.

"Wait a minute," Lainey laughs. "I need to take off these skis and find my wedding shoes. Who has my shoes?"

Lainey's Mom steps up, holding her shoes. "I have your shoes. And I can help you with the skis."

"Thanks mom, I appreciate it." She unbuckles the skis and Lainey slips her feet out and puts on her heels.

"Mom, did you see that I made it?! Whew! I can't believe it," Lainey laughs.

"You sure did honey. I knew you could do it."

"Thanks mom, for always believing in me," Lainey tells her mom.

"Oh Lainey, how could I not? You worked so hard. I wanted your dreams to come true."

"And they have Mom. They really have." She puts her arm around me and her mom and we walk inside together. We join the rest of our family and friends. They surround us on this beautiful, sunny day at the base of the mountain that has given us so much pain and joy. It's the most fitting place for Lainey and I to start our future together.

John stands in front of us as our minister. He takes us through the ceremony, asking us to exchange our vows. I take Lainey's hand, 

"Looking back, I never thought I would find this kind of happiness. When Ashton died, a piece of me died with him. The piece that thought I could be worthy of love and happiness. If Ashton could never have that in his life then how could I?" I feel myself trembling. "You saved me Lainey. Even when we weren't together after your accident, it was my memory of what we had and what could be possible that kept me going. I want you to know how much you mean to me. And that I will love you forever."

I see a tear fall from Lainey's eye. I reach out and catch it.

She smiles, "I know you love me. I've known all along and your undying love has kept me going. You've had to deal with so much pain in your life – more than most. And yet you never gave up on us. You showed me how to be strong. You saved my life and you've made me a better person. I will love you forever."

I hear, you may kiss the bride, and I kiss Lainey and I suddenly feel a panic that chokes me. I grab Lainey's hand and we run down the aisle as our friends and family scream and holler. We head into the lodge and I steal her away.

"Where are we going?" she laughs. "Everyone's going to wonder where we are."

I pull her into the bathroom and lock the door behind us. I look her in the eyes.