Lainey - Patience

The NBC official is speaking but I don't hear what he's saying to me. All I can think about is Cory and the fact that he was just here. How did he know where to find me? I feel excitement building at the thought of seeing him. It takes all my energy not to just run and jump into Cory's arms forever. Ever since I dreamt of seeing him at Nationals, I can't get him out of my mind. I've been lying awake at night, wondering how to reach out to him. How to tell him that I miss him and his beautiful eyes that twinkle when he laughs. But right now, I need to have patience. I will see him soon enough. I shake my head to re-focus.

"Lainey, it's nice to finally have a moment with you. You're a hard lady to track down. As soon as we found out you would be here, we flew right out. We were so inspired by your speech at Nationals."

"Thank you – that's really nice to hear. I'm sorry I've been hard to reach. I've been on a non-stop publicity tour since I announced my retirement. I'm glad you found me here. You've definitely peaked my curiosity." I can't tell if my heart is racing due to the NBC officials trying to track me down or the fact that Cory is somewhere nearby.

"We'd like to invite you to be an NBC commentator at the upcoming Olympics. Your passion for your sport and good will toward other skaters will be inspiring to our viewers. What do you say?" 

I take a moment to let the moment register. Wow. This is more than a dream come true. To be able to continue in a career that involves ice skating and to be able to comment on the performances of the best skaters in the world. What an honor! 

"Is this something you would consider doing for us?" they ask again.

I squeal and emphatically say, "Yes! Of course! I would love to."

"Wonderful, we weren't sure for a minute there. Your silence had us worried."

"Oh no, I was just trying to figure out if screaming would be inappropriate or not."

"Great! We're very happy to have you on board. We'll be in touch soon with your agent to discuss flying you out to go over our game plan for the event at your earliest convenience."

"Anytime!"

"We love your enthusiasm Lainey. We think you're going to be a perfect fit for us."

"Thank you so much! I'm thrilled to have his opportunity." I shake their hands and excuse myself, anxious to speak to Cory. I have so much I want to say. Seeing him here gives me renewed hope that a future together may still be possible. I look around but I don't see Cory anywhere. Instead, I see Mark standing off to the side, holding flowers. Something's not right.

I walk over to Mark.

"What happened?"

"What do you mean?"

"Did you see Cory? He was just here. Why would he leave?"

"I told him the truth."

"What do you mean? What truth?"

"That we're getting married – and he gave me these flowers to give to you." Mark hands me the flowers, as I stare at him in shock.

"Mark, what are you talking about? We're just friends."

He reaches into his jacket and pulls out a small black velvet case, but before he is able to open it, I place my hand on top of his.

"I'm sorry if being friends won't be enough for you but it's all we'll ever be."

"But, this trip? Why did you invite me if you weren't intending to be with me?"

"I hired you to be my assistant on my publicity tour. You offered to help because you wanted to see the States. I'm now seeing it was a bad idea. I think you should just go back to LA and I'll finish the tour myself."

"Lainey, you're making a mistake. We're meant to be together."

"No, we're not. I'm sorry if you feel I led you on, but my feelings about us haven't changed. I don't love you Mark. And I don't see how you can love me. You don't even know me. I've changed quite a bit since high school. I'm not the naive girl you kissed under the bleachers anymore." 

"I know what an amazing woman you are. Why do you think I can't get over you?" 

"I'm in love with Cory. I actually never stopped loving him. I'm sorry."

I run outside to try to see if I can tell where Cory went. I don't see him anywhere. I try his cell phone but it goes to voice mail. I don't want to leave a message. Whatever we need to say to each other needs to be done in person. I've waited this long. Our time will come. I know it.