Chapter 40

Axton felt eyes on him as he finished his morning fitness routine. He’d thought it was Paige but he knew she’d never have been able to remain quiet that long. She’d probably have hopped the wooden barrier and joined him, he thought, the image pulling his lips up into a small smile as he turned.

            A man leaned on the bit of fence closest to him, still watching. He was dressed as a noble, his high collared vest richly embroidered though the shirt underneath was more wide-sleeved than the current fashions of court. The sword belted at his side along with his short brown hair had him guessing that the man had at least gone through some martial training. There was something familiar about him, making Axton think he’d seen him before though he couldn’t place him.

            Deciding to err on the side of politeness, he bowed to the man. “May I help you, my lord?”

            He vaulted the fence, landing easily before walking over, his movements were fluid with just a hint of predator about them. “I have heard that you are a skilled knight despite your youth. Will you spar with me?”

            Axton frowned slightly, noting the man’s unaccented speech and blue-grey eyes. Still, he had no way to refuse politely so he bowed. “I would be honoured, my lord.”

            His nod was curt as he stepped back. He removed his vest and set it carefully aside before unsheathing his sword.

Axton hesitated, not liking the idea of a sparring match with live steel, especially against a stranger. It would be dangerous to both of them. But he’d already agreed and to break a promise would violate the oaths he’d sworn when they had allowed him his shield. He sheathed his practice sword and switched it for his real one, buckling it to its usual spot over his hip.

They settled into position facing one another, the stranger waiting until Axton had drawn his blade before bringing his sword into the start position. That made Axton even more uncomfortable. The formal beginning pose was normally reserved for duels

His sparring partner gave him no more time for regrets, lunging forward with his sword stretched point first. The sudden attack brought Axton’s training to the fore. He batted the blade away and dodged to the other side, closing some of the distance between them.

His opponent moved with his sword, spinning around to slash at the oncoming Axton. He caught the blade and twisted his sword around, trying to catch the other’s and send it flying. But again, the man moved with his blow, dropping into a controlled tumble and somersaulting to his feet a short distance away. “You are skilled, boy, however you lack experience.”

Axton wasn’t given a chance to reply, the man closing the space between them in a few, running steps. He leaned back, narrowly avoiding the tip of the sword as his sparring partner sent an upwards slice towards his face. He brought his own sword across, forcing the man to jerk away as his blade was shoved to one side. Axton’s follow-up strike missed as his opponent spun out of the way.

Already he was breathing hard, never having fought an opponent this nimble. Axton ignored the sweat dripping down his face, keeping his eyes on the man as he resettled himself, knowing that single misstep was going to end badly for him.

They faced each other again, their swords up and eyes narrowed in concentration. Axton held his sword at shoulder height, ready to try and overhand chop while his opponent’s blade looked to be set for another underhand slash. They’d both taken only one step towards the other when a voice had them both freezing in place. “What the hell do you think you’re doing?”

Axton knew that voice and turned to stare at a glaring Paige. He flinched, wondering how late he was to their meeting that she was looking at him like that. She clambered over the fence and stalked over, hands clenched tightly into fists.

He ducked his head, preparing to apologize as much as it took to remove the expression on her face when she stopped in front of him. But her back was to him and her hands went to her hips as she continued to glare at his sparring opponent. “Have you been bullying Axton?”

The man laid his sword flat against one shoulder as he looked down at her. “I do not understand what you refer to.”

She tossed her head. “You have spent way too much time around Vally for you not to know exactly what I mean. Don’t think you can claim this was an innocent sparring match. You’re using live steel and I’m sure you were planning on doing something awful to Axton.”

“What…?” Axton whispered.

Paige turned half-around to look at him, her face creased with what he thought was concern. “Are you alright? I’m really sorry about him. Uncle Amorrt’s the absolute worst of all my male relatives, adopted or not.”

The name had him blinking as he realized why he’d seemed familiar. Crown Prince Amorrt now Consort to King Konah of Methus, one of the leaders during the Godmother War. “I…what?” Still confused as to what was happening.

She rolled her eyes. “He’s a bloody menace,” she said, turning to glare at Amorrt for a moment. “I saw what he did to Garion because of Senera and I always promised myself I’d make sure he didn’t do the same to me. Thankfully Grandfather put an end to it. Then again, Garion is his actual grandson. He just insists we call him grandfather because we call Miette aunt and he sees her as his second daughter. Sorry, my family’s super weird.”

Amorrt snorted. “That boy is-”

Paige cut him off. “A decent guy. You just don’t like him because Senera’s your favourite after Rabar. Don’t bother denying it either, everyone knows. And besides, we’re not kids anymore. We can make our own decisions.”

“You are scarcely sixteen. That is no age to be making any kind of life altering decision,” he replied, crossing his arms over his chest.

“If I’d been born here I could already be married. I’ve already made my first choice, and I won’t be changing my decision for my second or third. Even Vally’s stopped trying to talk me out of it or scare me away. And, she, Darren and Mom have all given Axton their seals of approval which means you can’t say anything,” Paige said, then ruined her attempt at appearing adult by sticking her tongue out and adding “So there.”

“I believe I need to have a discussion with your sister,” Amorrt replied, eyes narrowing. He nodded to her and left, stopping only long enough to grab his vest on his way over the fence.

Paige shook her head and turned to look at Axton. “I’m really sorry about him. He’s crazy overprotective about the lot of us kids. Which I understand and all, given what happened to him, but it’s still annoying. Are you going to be okay?”

He smiled, hoping it would smooth the lines from her face. “I am fine. I must admit, your family continues to surprise me.”

She laughed at that. “And you haven’t even met them all yet.”