Chapter 12

Darren leaned against the wooden fence, watching the late morning sparring match. Whatever else could be said about him, it was obvious that Axton’s early knighthood had been given fairly. Despite the bandages the king knew were on his arm, he was still fighting evenly in a sparring match against two of the younger knights. But that still meant they were both over a decade older than him. Still, he kept up with them, dark face blank, only his bright and darting eyes showing how intensely he was concentrating.

            The match ended in a draw, Axton’s practice blade held against one of their throats, his dagger against the stomach of the other. Both their practice swords were kissing the sides of his neck. All three broke away at the same time. The two older men clapped him on the shoulders while Axton nodded, his chest heaving.

            Darren waited until he turned in his direction before lifting an arm and waving. The frown on the young knight’s face swiftly turned into a wide-eyed bow as he got close enough to see who was there. “Your majesty,” he said, practically bent in half. “How can I serve you?”

            “Meet me in the Queen’s Garden when you’ve changed. There is something I need to discuss with you,” he said, nodding as the two other knights passed by, bowing.

            Axton bowed again. “Yes, your majesty.”

            Twenty minutes later, Darren had to admit that Axton looked even more uncomfortable out of his sweat-stained padding. He walked into the garden warily, eyes sweeping over the place. The king wasn’t sure if that was due to the fact that he was meeting him or what had happened the last time he had been there.

            He gestured to the other side of the stone bench he’d dragged in, waiting until Axton had sat gingerly before speaking. Behind them Erramun loomed, eyes flicking around the area, looking for movement while the three other guards each stood by one of the entrances. Things like that made Darren wish he’d never taken the throne. He shook himself and turned to Axton. “There are things I believe you need to know.”

            The knight nodded, eyes on his king.

            Darren sighed. This was not a conversation he’d ever thought he’d be having. “This is about Paige.”

            That made him jerk his head, eyes widening. “Is she safe? Is she unharmed?”

            He nodded. “She is fine. Physically at least. But she’s very angry at her sister. I believe she’s refusing to speak to her or even acknowledge her existence at the moment.”

            Axton frowned. “What has happened?”

            He rubbed the back of his neck and thought about how to break the news. “She’s been sent home by her sister and won’t be allowed to return for some time. I want you to understand why it’s happening so you know it would have probably happened anyway.”

            “How long will she be gone?” he asked, forehead wrinkling.

            Darren cursed the boy for noticing that he’d left that out. Then he sighed again. He was going to find out anyway. “A year. Her sister has forbidden her from coming back for at least a year.”

            The choking sound Axton made had Darren patting his back. “Why?”

            The king looked up at the sky overhead, a crow flapping by the only interruption of the endless stretch of blue. “Her sister is worried. About several things. The fact that Paige was in a fight, with proper swords, scares her. But to be honest, she’s only using that as the excuse for sending her away. She’s really worried that Paige is too young. Too young to be here without knowing the risks and too young to already have a name.”

            Axton eyebrows contracted. “Being known as Lady Joy is a problem?”

            “It’s the only thing she’s known as. The only person who calls her by her name is you. And it doesn’t help that you have a name as well. It has Va-her sister worried. Paige hasn’t even made the choice about living here or at her home yet. She wasn’t supposed to have to make it until just before she turns sixteen, another reason she’s being kept away for so long,” Darren said, dropping his hand into his chin.

            Axton shook his head. “I do not see how her youth is a problem.”

            He raised an eyebrow. “Have you met Paige? At least with her sister, it was just danger finding her. Paige not only finds danger, she throws herself headfirst into it, laughing. Things have been quiet recently but it’s only a matter of time before something dangerous starts up again. Her sister would prefer that Paige be elsewhere when that happens.”

            The knight frowned then nodded. “I do not wish to see her in danger either. I…a year is a long time.”

            Darren considered Axton. From all the reports he’d gotten, the young man was honourable, strong, and mostly kept to himself. He liked that he’d immediately agreed that her being away was best when he’d mentioned her in danger. And still did feel this was rather unfair to the poor boy. He glanced around the he caught Erramun’s eye and said “This is to be kept quiet Err. You’re not to tell anyone. That includes Isaac! He might not tell her but he’d certainly hint at it enough that she’d know something was up.”

            Err nodded before sending his gaze roving back around the garden. Only then did Darren look back at the knight. “I’ll make you a deal. If you promise not to talk to her, or try to approach her farther than I give you permission to, I’ll take you to see Paige every so often. We won’t be able to go for a while because she’ll have you under surveillance, but you’ll be able to see her. From a distance. That’s if you’re interested.”

            “Will it put her in danger?”

            The king’s estimation of him rose. “No. I wouldn’t offer if she would be. I like the little brat. Just be aware that if we’re caught, her sister’ll skin us both.”

            Axton nodded. “Then I would very much like to see her.”