Chapter 22

Paige grinned at Axton as he walked through the arch, dropping the now pointless rock. “Good morning,” she said, racing over to him.

            He watched her stop in a swirl of skirts and hair, unable to keep a smile from his face. “Good morning. What shall we do today?”

            “The same thing we do every night, Pinky. Try to take over the world!” she cried.

            He blinked at her, frowning. She laughed. “It’s from a show I watched as a kid. No one here except my sister would understand. I just couldn’t resist. You set it up so well.”

            He nodded but by his wrinkled brow she guessed he was still confused. “Don’t worry about it. Now did you have any ideas for today? I feel bad about always hijacking our meetings.”

            Axton hesitated for a moment. “Perhaps the tower? We have not visited since your return.”

            She considered it for a moment then smiled. “Sounds good,” she said before another thought caused her to make a face. “There’s just something I’ve got to do before we go.”

           His forehead creased again as he followed her quick march over to the opposite arch. She stopped just short of it, where two trees stood at either side surrounded by a few flowering bushes. She walked part way around the tree to face the man hiding behind it, his partner behind the tree opposite it. “Good morning,” she said, her smile gone. “We’re going to the tower today. I know you’re going to follow because that’s what you’ve been told to do. Which is fine. But leave us alone in the tower, okay? You can guard the stairs or whatever but I’m not dealing with the two of you up there with us. There’s not that much room and honestly, it’s annoying having you guys around. And tell my sister that if she has to put guards on me, I’d prefer they be people like Cavyle and Nateza. Thank you.”

            Axton stared at the two men dressed in the dark green of palace guards. He saw the faint flush creeping up the one Paige had been talking to’s face, the man clearly embarrassed he’d been caught. He wondered how long there had been guards following them. And how long Paige had known they were there.

            She turned back to him. “Alright then. Let’s go. They’ll follow at a distance. They were picked because they’re good at shadowing.”

            “How long have you had guards?” Axton asked as he fell into step beside her.

            Paige shrugged. “I noticed them the second day I was back. I assume they were there on the first as well and I just didn’t notice them. They’ve been doing well at keeping their distance and not bothering us so I’ve been ignoring them. I’m sorry about it but Vally’s pregnancy has made her more paranoid than normal. And these guys are better than the old guards she used to try to put on me. I used to be able to slip that pair within minutes. I can try and lose this set if it bothers you.”

            He frowned and shook his head. “I believe it will be better that you not. I do not wish to raise the ire of your sister and I believe they will help ensure your safety. I am reassured that you have protection when I am not with you.”

            She rolled her eyes as they entered the palace, Axton holding the door open for her. “I can protect myself just fine. And I upped my sword and karate practices just for that reason. Well, I really upped them so Valerie couldn’t complain as much about it being dangerous. That and they help keep me in shape.”