Chapter 38

Paige stuck her tongue out at the door that her sister had just closed before turning to grin at Axton. “Well you now have my sister’s approval apparently. That certainly makes our lives easier. More importantly, do you have anywhere you have to be any time soon?”

            The mischief he could see sparkling in her eyes made him smile and shake his head. “I am at your disposal.”

            She laughed and jumped up off the fountain to grab his hand. “You really shouldn’t have said that. I’m going to hold you to it.”

            He chuckled. “I expected no less.”

            She grinned at him before she was off running, dragging him behind her. He stumbled for only a moment, almost used to the way she would speed off while holding onto him. Through the archway she raced, her hair not trailing behind her as it was confined for once in two braids that were wrapped around her head.

            It wasn’t long before Paige was laughing, revelling in the feeling of the wind blowing past. Axton could only shake his head and smile. She caught the movement and glanced back at him, eyes bright over the flash of her teeth.  She led the way down the path, switching to a new one at every fork, their rapid passage earning them stares from everyone they flew by.

            Paige didn’t slow until she had just begun to sweat and they were under the cover of trees. After the heat of the run, she enjoyed the cool shade, slowing them to a walk and falling into step beside Axton. His smile hadn’t dimmed and he turned it on here. “What brought about this burst of exuberance? Or was it simply an extension of your usual energy?”

            She grinned again. “A bit of the usual and a bit of me being glad to be back here. I miss having you around all the time but I do like being back here.”

            He chuckled. “I should have realized it was your form of celebration.”

            “Damn straight. You probably know me best of anyone,” she replied, laughing and swinging their joined hands. She kept the movement up until they rounded a bend in the path and almost ran into a group of four people.

            Axton frowned at the lady, squire, and two palace guard trainees in black but Paige let out a happy cry and dropped his hand to run over to them. He stared as she threw herself at the male guard trainee, hugging him tight as he laughed and patted her head. His hand closed into a fist before he saw the way she greeted all four of them in the same manner.

            The squire seemed to sense his gaze, turning hard eyes on him and saying, “What do you seek, Sir Heartfield?”

            Paige chose that moment to dance back over to him and reclaim his hand. “Axton’s with me. Now what’s up? You four rarely have time to get together anymore which means something’s up. And I want to know why I wasn’t invited.”

            The four of them turned measuring eyes on Axton before the male trainee laughed. “I should have known you’d be the one everyone’s calling Lady Joy.”

            She wrinkled her nose. “Don’t ask me how or why I got the name but it looks like I’m stuck with it. Could be worse I suppose.”

            His trainee partner chuckled. “It could be. And I can see Sora’s lady lessons didn’t take to you any better than they did to Valerie. You haven’t introduced us yet.”

            “Whoops. Axton, this is Bayon, Nateza, Cavyle, and Senera. They’re all friends of mine. You guys, this is Axton. Play nice cause he’s a bit shy,” she said, waving a hand at each of them as she said their names. Bayon, Nateza, and Cavyle all bowed as she said their names while Senera curtsied. Axton replied in kind. Paige rolled her eyes at the lot of them.

            Axton frowned after a moment. “Did you not mention them to me before? I believe you said…”

            She giggled. “Yep. And yep. They’re Vally’s spies so you can’t trust them.”

            “Spy is such a harsh word,” Cavle drawled.

            “You’ve been spending too much time around Isaac again. And if spy bothers you, I can always go with tattletale.”

            “I like informant,” Nateza said.

            Paige shrugged. “Whatever. Now, what are you lot doing? Whatever it is, you can count me in. I’m sure it’s going to be fun.”

            Bayon, who’d still been eyeing Axton, turned to look at her. “Valerie has not spoken to you? She told us this morning that Konah, Amorrt and Rabar will visit next week.”

            Her eyebrows rose as she grinned. “Really? Do you know for how long? I’m going to have to talk to Val after this. She didn’t tell me anything.”

            Senera shook her head. “She did not say. I believe their stay will last at least one week. We had planned to spend one afternoon together. Will you join us?” she turned her gaze to Axton. “Both of you are welcome. I have a feeling that Rabar and Sir Axton would find much in common with one another.”

            Paige laughed. “Yeah well they both are too serious and have awfully good poker faces. I’m sure I’ll be free so just let me know. You up for it Axton?”

            He could feel the weight of the looks the other four were levelling him but he kept his eyes on her. “I will be glad to accompany you. Will you inform me of the time so that I may clear my schedule?”

            The bright grin she sent his way drew an answering smile from his lips. “As soon as I know I’ll let you know. Now,” she said as she whirled to face the others, her grin darkening until it promised mischief. “you guys are free, and we’re free, and I know for a fact that Vally has a meeting right now. Also she’s slowed down since she got pregnant. What do you want to do?”

'           Cavyle stroked his chin while Nateza and Bayon exchanged grins. “You know,” he said, eyes dancing. “Those new suits of armor in the hall haven’t been fully assembled yet. When I was on duty the other day, I noticed that at least half of them still hadn’t had their backs put in. And there’s all that space behind them. Why, it’s almost as if they’re begging to be worn.”

            Axton looked from the guard trainee to the other four and shook his head. All of them wore grins identical to the one Paige wore when she had a prank in mind. He hoped this time they didn’t have to run as far.