Chapter 9

She ran forward, eyes on the arch. Quany’s hand shot out and grabbed her shoulder. She didn’t slow but spun, sinking her fist into his side as she twisted the hand on her back around. He fell with another high scream of pain. She released him and continued racing towards the sounds of battle, a roar rising above the sound of metal screeching along metal as she drew her blade.

            With one foot under the archway, Paige could finally see Axton. He was facing her, two attackers standing beside each other with their backs to her and their swords out. Behind him lay the moaning body of a third. The movement of her running steps made his eyes flick up from his assailants to look at her.

            She paused, unsure about him needing her help, as their eyes met. His sword point wavered for a moment before his eyes widened as they looked past her. That gave her the warning she needed to duck and shove her way back into the garden through the opening between the two of them.

            Paige twisted around to face them, her sword held straight in front of her, her body angled so as to present the least amount of target. She held her eyes steady on the two in front of her, keeping her ears open for the return of Quany. She knew he couldn’t be far.

            They turned as well, smacking their shoulders together as they fought to face her. They moved apart slightly, their blades out and held slanted in front of their chests. The sounds of metal striking metal behind them grew louder and faster but Paige couldn’t risk a glance at Axton. Not when she heard the soft grinding sound of tiny rocks under a hard heeled boot coming from behind her.

            She spun to the side, swinging her sword up to catch the blow Quany sent at her back. She parried it and struck out at his wrist with the flat of her blade but her strike was weak. He winced but kept his hold on his sword, glaring at her. She met his glare with one of her own. “Attacking me from behind? You are an honourless bastard!”

            “There is no need for honour against traitors,” he spat, jumping in with a two handed blow.

            She dodged it, throwing her sword arm up and kicking one leg out sideways. She blocked the blow the farther of Quany’s friends sent at her with her blade and sent the other one falling back from the kick to his stomach. She brought her foot stamping down and used both hands to shove the blade off her sword, twisting it around in the hope of catching his blade.

            It failed but he stumbled back, nearly tripping over his friend who was doubled over. Slight movement from her side sent her turning around sword-first, only just catching Quany’s strike. She hissed, her arms protesting as she pushed him back a step. She shoved up and shot one leg out, sweeping one of his feet out from under him. He went down on one knee. He slashed at her legs forcing her to jump over the swing of his sword. She landed and kicked out at his face, smashing his nose and making blood splurt out.

            The sound of a whistle being blown nearby made her jerk her head up from glaring into the furious and pain filled blue eyes of her attacker. Pouring in from each of the three archways were men in the dark green of the palace guards, their swords out. Already they were checking Axton’s fallen attackers and had him standing between two guards, halfway to her.

            “Shit,” she muttered, backing up a few steps and sheathing her blade and glancing about. Even if she had been willing to leave Axton, and she would rather stab herself than do that, there was no escape that she could see.

            She held her arms over her head, walking past where the other boys were being relieved of their weapons and Quany was already struggling against the guards restraining him. Two guards moved in on her but she ran the last few steps to Axton, standing as close to him as the guards would allow. When she didn’t offer any resistance and handed her sword over willingly, they left her be.

            He looked at her, a cut on his cheek still trickling a few drops of blood while a cut on his arm had dyed a line of red onto his shirt. “Are you uninjured, my lady?”

            She nodded, suddenly aware of her strained muscles and the sore spots on her arms that she was certain would be bruises by morning. “I’m fine. And I’m Paige. Umm…from here on out will you let me do the talking? No offense or anything but you’re not really great at it. And I have experience in worming my way out of punishments.”

            He frowned but nodded. She looked up at him and smiled slightly, pulling one of the handkerchiefs she’d learned to carry out of her sleeve. She pressed it gently against his cheek, dabbing up the blood. “You need to be careful. Scars are like wrinkles. Dignified on older people but they look ridiculous on younger ones.”

            Axton blinked twice then smiled, gently taking the cloth from her. “Thank you. I will keep that in mind,” he replied. Then worry took over his features again. “You are entirely unharmed? None of them offered you insult? If they have-”

            She cut him off with her shake of her head. “I took care of it. And…I’m sorry. It’s my fault this happened. I wasn’t paying attention and I really pissed them off before and-”

            His hand on her head interrupted her. “They would have done something regardless. I would not trade meeting you for anything and my injuries are the result of my own…distraction,” he said and frowned. “I had thought I heard you scream.”

            Paige laughed at that. “Oh no. That wasn’t me. That was our arrogant friend over there,” she answered, nodding at where Quany was screaming insults at the guards. “I expected it when I kicked him in the balls, cheap shot I know but it was a perfect opportunity, but when I twisted his arm he had no excuse. He just screams like a girl.”

            He chuckled for a second then winced as his cut split open again. She glared up at him, hands on her hips. “Enough of that. You keep that covered and we’ll get it cleaned after we deal with this mess and-” She noticed the guards herding her two attackers together, while several of the other ones carried the boys Axton had dealt with off. Quany was being surrounded by three guards, all holding him in place. She sighed and made a face. “Looks like it’s time to face the music.”