Chapter 3

“Where have you been?”

            Paige winced and turned around, keeping her eyes on the pink stone floor of the monarchs’ suite. Her apparent regret did nothing to lessen the scowl on Valerie’s face or to move the hands she had on her hips elsewhere. “I was in the gardens.”

            “You slipped your guards. You know the rules! You can’t go wandering around the palace by yourself. It’s not safe. And I’m not even going to get into the fact you didn’t bother asking me if you were allowed to come. We could have been under attack for all you know,” she snapped, eyes bright.

            Her sister met her glare with one of her own. “I knew it was fine because you visited us on Thursday. You never visit if things here are unsettled because you’re worried about people following you back and attacking us. Besides, I stayed in the palace walls which are patrolled with guard so it’s not like it was dangerous. And for your information, I wasn’t alone.”

            “There have been enough assassination and kidnapping attempts here that I know it isn’t safe. Things change quickly here. Who were you with?”

            “A knight and I’m not telling you more,” Paige replied, sticking her tongue out.

            Val’s eyes narrowed. “Paige! I’ve told you before that things here work differently than they do at home. You forget that here you’re a princess and there are certain things you need to-”

            She cut her off. “No one knows I’m your sister so relax. It’s been two years since the wedding and no one’s going to remember what I look like. I’m just one of the ladies so calm yourself.”

            “It wouldn’t be hard for someone to find out,” she replied through gritted teeth.

            “Whatever,” Paige replied, turning on her heel and running off. She blew through the door Darren opened, not bothering to say hello.

            He watched her rip the door to her room open before walking into his shared suite. He took in the pink stone walls, the barely scuffed leather furniture, a match for the new dark wood tables and sideboard, and most important, the angry expression on his wife’s face. “I see Hurricane Paige has blown in.”

            “Without a damn word. I get a message from Claressa during my meeting with the grain merchants to find out Paige has snuck over, leaving only a note. Then when I talk to the hall guards, they tell me she was here but that she ran off before they could find two extras to stay with her,” Valerie replied, pacing back and forth, her fists opening and closing.

            Darren moved into her path, folding his arms around her. “I am surprised you didn’t send her right back,” he murmured.

            She sighed, her shoulders sagging as she leaned into his embrace. “I would have but she’s been having problem ever since Christmas. She won’t tell any of us what’s wrong but she stopped hanging out with her friends and bringing them over. Cate says she spends most of her time at school alone now. She’s asked around but hasn’t been able to find anything out either. Her recent issues are the only reason Claressa isn’t here now, dragging Paige back by her ear.”

            Darren chuckled at the image. “So that’s where you learned it. What are we going to do then?”

            “I don’t know. I…At least for the weekend she’s fine to stay here. I just worry about her running wild. If anything happens to her, I… I don’t know what I’d do.” she whispered, leaning her cheek against his shoulder.

            “Then we put guards on her, love.”

            Val shook her head. “She’s already slipped them once. It won’t take her long to slip them again. She told me she had a friend who’s a knight but that doesn’t tell me much about him. I’d have felt safe except I’ve met enough knights to know that not all of them obey the rules of chivalry.”

            “I’ll ask around. I’m sure someone will mention having picked up a stray. And I bet it won’t be long before I get whoever it is in here, begging me to take her away. Most of our knights aren’t really good at dealing with girls like her,” he replied, stroking her hair.

            That made her smile. “They can barely handle me, and they don’t really see me as a woman. I almost feel bad for whoever it is, getting saddled with what is basically the younger, girly, hyper version.”

            He grinned. “I will let you know who it is as soon as I know. And think, this will be good parenting practice for us.”

            She rolled her eyes. “For you, maybe. I’ve been helping raise those heathens since I met them. And you know I don’t want children just yet.”

            “You’ve been saying that for two years,” he sighed.

            “We’ve been dealing with rebellions, challenges, attacks, and crazy magic creatures for two years. It looks like things have calmed down but I want to wait at least another month to be sure. I won’t bring a child into our lives if things aren’t stable. I won’t risk it,” she said, slipping her arms around his neck.

            “You have a point,” he replied, drooping a bit.

            Her low chuckle made him shiver as she moved until her lips just touched his ear. “We might have decided not to try for a child right now, but there’s no problem with practicing is there? With Paige having a fit, my lunch is suddenly wide open.”

            He smiled at her, his eyes lighting up as they met hers. “Have I told you I love you?”

            “Not in over two hours,” she replied, returning the smile.

            “I love you,” he said as he pulled her into a kiss.