Chapter 17

MERRY CHIRSTMAS 

I didn't know how to feel when the cab finally pulled up to my old home. It felt strange being back here. The last time I stepped foot in this house was when I came home for my aunt's funeral 2years ago. It was a sad occasion to be coming home to but even then nothing had changed. Something felt different about the aura of the house as Harry and I walked up the front stoop.

My knuckles hit the wood three times before I stepped back and bit my lip. I felt Harry slip his fingers between my own and squeeze just before the dark oak wood door swung open. A gust of warm air flew past us and it smelt like home. I smiled as my eyes met my mums, the vibrant blue in her eyes that I had inherited became watery the moment our gaze met. She stood at my height with long dark hair down to her waist she hadn't bothered to cut in years. 

"Cryssy!" I couldn't help but chuckle as she tugged me into a tight embrace, "it's been much too long darling" she whispered, squeezing my shoulders a bit tighter. 

"I know mum, Sorry I haven't called"

"You should be, I've been going mad without hearing my baby girls voice. All I've got to hear around here is the old man yappin' about the game every Sunday" she giggled. 

"Hey now! I may be old but I can still hear you too" A warm grin spread across my fathers face as he took his spot next to my mother. He stood a tall 6'7, his brown hair ruffled to the side carelessly because he had a habit of running his pudgy fingers through it. His waistband had gotten a tad larger than when I was a child but wasn't fat, just a little thick.  "Holy hell, she's alive!" he chuckled, taking a step onto the porch to hug me. I would have hugged him back properly but one hand was far to occupied holding Harry's hand. This was the moment of truth. "And you, I've seen you on TV.....hot damn kid where did you find him?" He asked, turning from Harry to me and back again. "I'm Charles but you'll call me Mr.Heartly" My father informed sternly, holding out a hand for Harry to shake. 

"It's a pleasure sir" Harry smiled politely, taking his hand and giving it a firm shake.

"Dad-" / "Charles-"

Both my mother and I stopped speaking abruptly, staring at each other strangely at our chorus before laughing. 

"Charles, be nice" My mum scolded briefly before she turned towards Harry herself. "I'm Shelly, feel free to call me Shelly too" she grinned, opening her arms. Harry let out a small, polite laugh before letting my hand go and giving my mother a full, proper, cuddle. 

"Lovely to meet you Shelly" he greeted. 

"Alrighty you two, come inside, I've made tea! Cryssy you can show Harry your bedroom so you can leave your things." My mother smiled, dispersing from the doorway and towards the kitchen. "And Charles?" she spoke, just as my dad's lips began to move.

He rolled his eyes and replied "Yes dear?"

"Say nothing" she sang sweetly, but the dangerous undertone proved she knew my father was about to say something to Harry about the sleeping arrangements.