Chapter 68.5

SO COLD

SO COLD

A frisson of fear darted down my spine, over the curve of my tailbone and through ridged legs. My heartbeat jolted and quickened. Quick, uncontrollable thumps. My knees felt as if they would crumble before me and flashing memories sped through my mind's eye like a distorted old-time movie with polaroid-like colours. I've had many close occurrences with death himself; the time at the graveyard, the car crash down the hill, the shooter at the flat, and now it seemed like death had grown weary and impatient with the cat and mouse game. The cheque was due. My death was ready to be stamped and collected. It was time.

The gunman's hooded gaze watched me with an intensity that matched with the like of Oscar's, except instead of lust, there was a desire for the demise and ruination of others. A blood-lust that he could hardly conceal. It unnerved me.

Cole shifted, standing in my path, slanted and hateful gaze fixed on the gunman. His voice was cruel. "Touch a hair on her head and I'll burn your family alive."

"I'm certain that's a promise you intend to carry out, but for now...Come here," his attention never wavered away from me.

It sent chills up my spine. Creep.

Cole's jaw hardened. He seemed to be contemplating the situation, considering favouring the idea of fighting back. His shoulders fell slightly, and he allowed me to pass by him, realising the hopelessness of the bleak reality we were in. James was on the ground, a semiautomatic aimed squarely at his head, in an impossible position to get out of alive. Cole's gun was some distance away, too far to reach even if there were a turn of events. The store assistant was dead, in a crumpled heap behind the counter. The devil's luck had dried up. We were well and truly screwed. Resistance was futile.

I reached the gunman, every nerve on fire, senses heightened. He wore a subtle scent; sandalwood. I was close enough to see the individual hairs on his jawline. He was lean, confident in his stance and his malicious gaze gleamed as he locked gazes with me. His hand reached for me, pausing briefly, eyes flickering to Cole who looked ready to pounce, and he warned him to stay down. His hand wrapped around the back of my neck and he pulled me into his side, mouth at my ear, voice soft. "Comfortable?"

"Do me a favour and put the gun in your mouth and squeeze the trigger." I arched away from him, repulsed, tone hard.

He laughed, amused. And then his hand tightened, and he knocked the gun against my cheek none-too-gently. "You're adorable, you truly are." He glanced up at a maddened James and a murderous Cole and he smiled pleasantly, mouth moving against my ear. "You get the glorious task of deciding who dies first; the King or the Knight? Choose wisely. Shall we let the loyal servant suffer or his royal highness? I'm favouring James, what do you think? And then you. And finally, Cole. Great plan. Shoot him." He ordered his partner.

***

is this the end lol or will they be saved