Chapter 54.5

SO COLD

The wail shattered the stunned silence. It was obtrusive, ear-splitting and full of sorrow. Loud cries of 'he's dead! He's dead!' invited panic and fear to the wrecked house. Cole's hands were on either side of my cheek, trying to grab my attention, and he asked urgently. "Are you okay? You're not hurt, are you?"

I was confused and speechless at first, the gunmen had robbed me of my tongue and I frowned, attempting to concentrate on anything other than Art's grief. The Italian had been murdered. My face felt stiff, hard to twist.

I wasn't hurt. I told him.

Cole made a noise of discomfort. Alarmed, I demanded. "Were you shot? Are you bleeding anywhere?" My inquiring gaze wasn't enough, I found myself turning his face, searching for an exit wound on his body. My chest felt tight, like it was being crushed.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, I just landed awkwardly," he grabbed my hands, eyes closing briefly, intimate and close, breathing deeply, head in the crook of my neck. His relief was obvious and I couldn't help but feel the same way. As quick as a snap of fingers, the moment was over and he was standing, tugging me upright. He had a black semiautomatic gripped tight in his hand. "Stay close."

His body was tensed, shoulders set apart, mouth set in a grim line, and he opened the door leading out to the hallway. Oscar, Giant and a woman with tattooed arms and flaming red hair (Svetlana, if I recalled correctly) were drawing arms. Giant situated himself on the left hand side by the door, Oscar stood by the opposite wall, and Svetlana had Irvin's shotgun, and she crouched by a large potted plant nearby. Cole held out a hand to me, and I halted. Oscar nodded at Giant, and Giant twisted the doorknob, pulling the door open towards him.

Svetlana fired off rapidly, empty shells clinked on the floor, and she gritted her teeth, throwing herself to the side as someone fired back. "It's the Chinese, two men, motorbikes."

There was a shout of what seemed to be orders in Cantonese and then motorbikes roaring to life and a grumble of engines. "They're likely Suiciders," Cole called after the three Musketeers, "be careful. Kill the other, bring one back alive." While the other gunmen sped off in a gleeful haze, Suiciders lingered to pick off any survivors or to lead the opposing gang members on a destructive path to death. They would either be heading towards a warehouse where a bomb would be set off, killing everyone in the nearby vicinity or they would take them to an ambush spot where their employers would fire off bullets into their skulls.

Giant nodded to his cousin. "I'll call you." They left, wheels spinning on the tarmac, engines thunderously loud.

"Get out!" Cole charged into the living room, yelling furiously. "Get out! Cops will be on their way. Stay behind, Irvin. You're going to answer their questions; be clueless and as unhelpful as possible without incriminating yourself. Can you do that?"