Chapter 64.7

SO COLD

SO COLD

The heat from the bomb blast was searing. It felt like I was suddenly encased in a red-hot oven, the air was smoky and greyish-black. My skin was scorched, like I had been flipped over in the air by an experienced griller and smacked onto a burning grill. The sound was explosive. It was a sudden earth-shattering blast and then a pop in my ears as I flew backwards through the open front door and hit the banister painfully. I collapsed in a heap on the floor. My cheek was inflamed as if I'd been struck. Sound became heavily muffled, almost muted. There was a blockage in my ears. I couldn't hear anything. I could feel tremors, running footsteps. Voices. There was a ringing in my ears. A shrill scream, like a whistle being blown by wet lips. Heavy hands lifted me up by my armpits. Discombobulated, I stared at James as he spoke words that never made any waves in the air. His face was troubled, and he spoke once more, brows creasing, uneasy and unsure. Helpless, and with a tight chest and a heavy heart, I read his moving mouth in the hopes I could make sense of the situation. The ringing only grew louder.

"...OK? Sit down. Here," he helped and herded me to sit on the last step of the stairs.

I caught sight of the remains of the wrecked Shogun. The burnt remains were on fire. The smoke was acidic and the smell of the burning metal and sulphur was vomit-inducing. The air was hot and sultry. Glass had shattered and scattered across the front lawn. Pieces of broken metal were lying on patches of burnt grass, on fire and sizzling under the howling night sky. The body of a man was sprawled across the lawn. Unmoving.

Terror burned in the pit of my stomach, consuming my organs and searing my flesh. "Cole!" I grieved in despair.

***