Chapter 39

3rd July 2016:

The house was still, in the near distance came the sound of low TV mumbles. My heels clicked clacked on the wooden floor and I stood in the threshold of the living room, and reached to untie my heels and then dropped them to the floor. Isiah was watching a late night news show, and drinking in his sweatpants. He rubbed his eyes, yawned and then turned to me. "You're back."

"I'm back." I moved forward, and sat down next to him, and then took his glass, "I take it this isn't water? Vodka? You don't drink vodka."

"It's a difficult sort of night," he took his glass back and I crossed my legs and faced him, waiting. He lowered the volume, sighed and then sighed again. "Are you in trouble? I was awake the other night and I overheard you talking on the phone. You sounded angry. You've been antsy lately and I'm wondering what it is or who you're running from, hiding from. You can tell me."

"It was ... nothing," I unfolded my legs and set my feet on the floor, getting ready to escape his question and say I was tired, exhausted and going to bed. "I should–"

"I can't help you if you keep everything to yourself. Whatever it is, I'm here for you. Whenever you're ready. OK?" He set the glass down, leaned back. "Come here. Let's talk about a lighter subject. How was your date?"

I hated lying to him, he didn't deserve it but I couldn't get him involved in my mess, in my old world. He wouldn't belong. Right now he was part of a perfect other life and the faintest overlap would spill blood on everything he was a part of, stain it crimson and it would rot and decay. I rested my head on his shoulder and rubbed the soles of my feet. "It was terrible. Jake ran out of gas, so we had to stop by a gas station, then we were stuck in traffic for an hour. When we got to the fare we spent most of the time in queues and then a woman puked on Jake when we were going down a ride, her vomit splattered back on him. I helped him clean up and the mood was spoiled. He was very shy the whole time we were together but when he walked me to the door, he kissed me. It was...his lips were dry. I felt like I was kissing sandpaper."

He laughed, "Poor kid. So I'm guessing there won't be a second date?"

"Nope. This will be the last time I'll ever be guilt into dating one of grandma's friend's grandson. Can I ask you something?"

"Yes."

"Why haven't you called Olivia back yet? You like her and she likes you a lot. She's pretty and smart. It's been a week since the last time you hung out."

He faltered, gaze falling. "I don't like commitment. She's a beautiful woman but I'm just not interested. It's as simple as that."

"Is it because she's a Gemini?"

His lip curved up. "You know I don't believe in astrology."

"Or is it because you feel guilty? You spent so much time away while studying. My Mum got killed. Granddad died. We left. Grandma was alone pretty much all the time. Now you feel obligated to be bound to your family. Whatever they need, wherever it is, you'll go. Who do you live for? It's time to put yourself first. This is your life. Call Olivia back."

He didn't expect that. "I... you're observant. I'll call her back. Will that make you happy?"

"It'll make both of us happy." I kissed his cheek. "I'm going to take a shower and then I'm going to sleep for eternity. Night."

"Goodnight," he called, phone in his hand, light illuminating his face.

***

4th July 2016:

"Six days."

"What?"