Chapter 21

"I don't know how I missed it," Alice said as Ellie felt panic flooding her mind. "I thought they were farther away. They were leaving, but then they heard us playing and changed their minds."

"No," Ellie whispered, Jasper rushing to her side, feeling her panic. Ellie snapped her eyes to Bella as Edward was trying to get her out of the clearing.

"It won't be fast enough," Alice said, stopping him. "They'll catch her scent and follow."

"Can I get her out fast enough?" Ellie asked, coming to her senses and rushing to Bella's side. Jasper followed her closely, not willing to let his mate to get hurt in the process of protecting them.

"No," Alice stated, eyes filled with worry.

"You recognized them, Ellie," Edward said, lifting his eyes to hers. "Are they dangerous? Are they coming for you?"

"They're very dangerous," Ellie replied, shame filling her as Edward instructed Bella to take her hair down, and the rest of the Cullens gathered around them. "They're not his, if that's what you're asking, but they do know him. I'm not sure if they're here for me. They're nomads. They could just be on the move."

Just as she spoke the words the three vampires broke through the clearing, speed impeccable, an animalistic grace in each of their steps, like a cat on the prowl. The middle one who seemed to be the leader was tall with pale ebony skin, dreadlocks past his shoulders and crimson eyes. His two companions featured pale ivory skin, the female with wild, fiery red hair and the male with a long blond ponytail, both with crimson eyes that told of their nature. They were obviously mates, and trying to put a false idea of who was really the leader in their minds as Ellie recalled.

The man who appeared to be their leader calmly said, "We thought we heard a game." He then introduced the three. "I'm Laurent. These are Victoria and James."

Carlisle greeted them and introduced the family in groupings, not being specific, trying to distract them from the fact there were two humans in their midst. "I'm Carlisle. This is my family. Esme, Emmett and Rosalie, Alice and Ellie, and Jasper, Edward and Bella."

Upon hearing Ellie's name however, the blond vampire allowed his gaze to meet hers, recognition in his crimson eyes. A dark smirk formed on his lips as he spoke, "Why if it isn't Princess Eleanor."

Ellie shuddered at the name. Only Jesse called her that, and it was a terrible reminder of their dark past. "Don't call me that," she spat.

"You just can't stay away from vampires, can you, Princess?" he quipped, not caring for her wishes. "Jesse will be pleased to know your whereabouts. He's been looking everywhere for you."

Jasper stepped in front of her, a growl in his throat.

James raised his eyebrows at the sound, an amused smirk on his lips, "Well, well, well, what do we have here? Jesse won't be too pleased that you've been playing around with other men."

"I'm not his property," Ellie growled, a new fierceness digging into her soul. She wouldn't let anything happen to Jasper.

"I don't see why he'd want you though. You don't smell like anything special," he commented, sniffing the air, catching the faint scent of blood mixed with the various scents of vampire and seemingly, going back to his own business.

"Do you have room for a few more players?" Laurent asked after James had quietened down.

"We were actually just finishing up," Carlisle replied, wary of the vampires because of not only Bella but their fascination with Ellie. "But maybe next time. Are you planning to stay in the area long?"