Chapter 4

Ellie paced around her room debating on whether calling Mike was a good idea or not. If she called, she could ensure he would at least be capable of running if her past caught up to her again. If she didn't call, she could potentially keep him out of her monstrous life. However, knowing that she couldn't keep him completely out of her life because for some reason he had decided she was his best friend, she picked up her phone and dialed his number. It was better for him to be prepared if something went wrong than for him to be vamp bait.

The dial tone rang for a couple of seconds before he answered, his tone excited, "Ellie DuPree, to what do I owe the pleasure?"

"I can't call you without a motive?" she questioned, knowing he had caught her.

"Well, you can," he started, sensing the blonde had other thoughts on her mind besides conversing.  "Unfortunately, I have this feeling that you didn't call just to talk though. So, what is it?"

"Alright, you caught me. So, I was wondering if you were doing anything, say around, five tomorrow morning?" Ellie questioned into the phone receiver, not bothering to hide her motives any longer.

"Five? Tomorrow morning?" Mike replied, wondering what exactly in the world the strange blonde could possibly want from him at five in the morning. "I'm generally sleeping at that time."

"Do you want to do something besides sleep at that time?" she tried to coax him.

"Like prank Tyler something or what?" he suggested. "Because I haven't heard a good enough reason to get out of my bed at that time since, I don't know, ever?"

"I was thinking more along the lines of joining me for a nice jog," she explained, getting to the point. "I don't really want to go jogging alone because of all of the killings I've read about in the papers recently."

"You want me to get out of my bed... and go jogging... at five in the morning? Five A.M.? Is that what I'm hearing?" he frowned. This call was not sounding like a good time.

"Wow. Your hearing is impeccable. You deserve a reward," she deadpanned. Looks like she might be going for that jog by herself.

"Oh, ha. Ha. Very funny, Els," he said, rolling his eyes before acquiescing.  "Why not? But you will definitely owe me."

Ellie cheered in triumph,"Breakfast afterwards? My treat?"

"That'll do. My choice though!" he accepted.

"Perfect! I'll see you then," she exclaimed hanging up the phone.

Mike flopped back onto his bed sighing heavily. This girl was going to be the end of him.

Ellie's breaths were steady in the cold air as she pumped her legs forward. She heard Mike huffing behind her as he tried to keep up. The duo was currently on their third mile, and Ellie knew it was going to be best to stop soon or the blond behind her wouldn't make it through the rest of the day.

Turning to the boy behind her, she said, "We should probably head back. You know, to get cleaned up and buy you some breakfast."

The boy stopped in his tracks, hands on his knees attempting to take air into his lungs. He threw a thumbs up in sign that he was good with that plan before Ellie giggled and gave him some advice,"You'll get more air in if you lean back."

He took her advice, sighing in relief when the burning in his lungs subsided, "Do you do this a lot?"

"It helps me keep my mind clear. Plus, I've got to stay in shape somehow. You're not going to get me to exercise many other ways," she grinned at the exhausted boy. "Think you can make it back?"