Chapter 16

Ellie stood at Bella's front door knocking thrice only to have Chief Swan answer the door instead of the brunette she wanted to see.

"Good evening, Chief Swan," she greeted, offering the man a small wave. "I'm Ellie DuPree. It's nice to finally meet you."

"Hi," he greeted in return, barricading the entrance of his house. "Is there something I can help you with, Ellie?"

Ellie giggled lightly. He was as awkward as Bella. "I was just wondering if Bella was home. I promised to meet with her earlier today," she smiled, hoping she looked innocent enough.

"Oh," he said, eyebrows lifting. "That Ellie. Bella's mentioned you a time or two. You don't look as ferocious as she claims."

Ellie laughed loudly, her eyes crinkling at the sides. "I'm only ferocious when I have to be. Otherwise, I'm fairly tame. I just prefer for people to think I'm tough. It makes for less trouble."

He cracked a smile and opened the door for her, "She's upstairs in her room."

"Thank you, Chief Swan," she grinned, stepping into their home.

"You can call me Charlie. Chief Swan's too formal," he said, nodding his head at her. "It's the door on the right."

"Thank you, Charlie," she said, smile still on her face as she headed up the stairs to her friend.

When she reached her room, she knocked, and Bella answered almost immediately.

"Hey, Bells," she greeted, entering her room and closing the door behind her.

"Hey," she said, eyes searching her face for any indication of anger.

"I believe I told you we'd talk later," she said, tone light. "Now's a good time."

Ellie took a seat on Bella's desk chair and smiled softly at the girl, "I just want to make sure the secret is safe."

"I won't tell a soul," Bella said, eager to make the emissary understand she just cares about Edward. "I would never do anything to hurt him like that."

"And the others?" Ellie had to know they were all safe.

"Their secret is completely safe," Bella said, adamant on making sure Ellie knew. "It's dangerous for anyone to know. I won't put any of them in danger. I promise."

"I'll hold you to that. If word gets out about their secret, not only will they be forced to relocate. I will be forced to wipe the memories of the people in this town, and you will be punished by the governing vampires," Ellie explained, hands clasped at her knees, eyes sharp. "That's not something I want to see happen. Their punishments are generally harsh. Trust me, I would know."

"I understand," Bella said, nodding her head. She wondered what had happened for Ellie to know what they could do, but she kept her thoughts to herself. "No one will know."

"I'm not only worried about them, Bella. I'm worried about you, too," she said, eyes softening. "I've seen people get hurt and die by the hands of vampires. I don't want to see that happen to you. So, I just want to let you know to be careful. Accidents are dangerous in this world. Regardless, if anything does go wrong, I will be there to protect you."

"Ellie, you don't have to-" Bella started, not going to let the girl put herself in danger for her.

"Yes, I do," Ellie interrupted, standing swiftly. "It's my job now. When you accepted Edward and the secret, you became family. It's my place to protect and advise the family. That now includes you."

Not seeing herself being able to dispute the topic with the blonde, she said, "Thank you, Ellie."

"It's no problem," she smiled, feeling better about the whole subject. "Just don't go looking for trouble."