Chapter 11

When Ellie pulled into the parking lot at school with Mike the next morning, there was plenty of gossip. She shrugged it off and told Mike to do the same. There was no point in getting worked up over trivial matters.

It wasn't until she locked eyes with Jasper Hale on the other side of the parking lot that she even felt the slightest worry. Jasper knew that they were only friends, but something inside of her didn't want him mad at her regardless.

Mike noticed the stare down happening beside of him and smirked, "I'll be off. Looks like you two need to talk."

Ellie paid him no mind as he walked away leaving the girl standing alone in the parking lot, watching Jasper Hale intently. She felt her mouth go dry at the thought of him and hated it immediately. He shouldn't have this kind of effect on her. Snapping out of the almost trance like state she'd found herself in, she rolled her eyes and marched over to the blond vampire.

"Jasper," she addressed.

"Eleanor," he said, his tone sharp.

"You sound chipper this fine day," she quipped, sarcasm dripping from her words.

"Why, I'm perfect as a peach," he sniffed. "Why would there be any reason for me to be any different? It's not like my mate showed up to school with another male or anything. Or even better, had said male to spend the night at her house alone."

Ellie rolled her eyes, "He's my best friend, Jasper. If I want to spend time with him outside of school, I can. It's not like you own me."

"For some reason, I don't think you understand how the mate bond works," he growled, angry at the thought of another male being close to his mate.

"I understand it better than you realize," she snapped. Of course she understood the mate bond. She had experienced the tethering of their heart strings with her own eyes which is more than she can say Jasper probably did. "Anyway, how'd you know he spent the night?"

Jasper's eyes widened minutely before he neutralized his expression, "You just said it."

"Right, and it has nothing do with the fact that you were outside the whole night?" she frowned, crossing her arms, "There's no need to go all jealous creeper on me. It's not exactly going to get you anywhere any faster."

"How'd you know I was outside the whole night?" he questioned incredulously.

Ellie had to refrain from rolling her eyes again, and instead, said. "One, you just told me. Two, for some reason I think you forget that Edward and I have some things in common."

Jasper frowned. He had, indeed, forgotten that she was a telepath.

"I was going to sit with you at lunch today, but now, I think I'll sit elsewhere," she said before turning and walking inside of the school building, leaving the blond vampire to watch her walk away.

Ellie was fantastically angry. Edward had smirked at her almost the whole gym class. Then at lunch, Jessica had made a snide comment to Ellie about Mike staying at Ellie's the night before. This unfortunately led to Mike having to hold her back because she'd tried to jump over the cafeteria table to throttle the brunette which resulted in Ellie finding herself in the most annoying place on earth: detention.

It was a waste of time. Ellie had absolutely nothing to do. She was already several months ahead on all of her homework, which meant she had to result to either finishing out the rest of her homework for the remainder of the school year, or she could sit grumpily, staring ahead, plotting the various ways she could commit a murder and get away with it. Using her poorest judgment, she chose the second option.